N.Ireland

Dr D

Headed out this morning to see if anything has changed. The answer is yes and no. I did see a few small bunches of birds on farmland but nothing worth talking about. Still it is an indication that things might be about to change. I then headed to a couple of woods that they have been in. Sen about 4-500 in the first playing in the wind and a couple of hundred in the second. They are still latched on the beech mast. Its dire guys. No flightline worth talking about. One shot in the woods and their off. Where is the snow to bring this to an end?

I have a feeling the weather bomb will flick the switch to "normal"

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will see. Lots of wind and rain, but the temp is still not dropping below freezing and there are loads of beech nuts. My local wood is still carpeted with them. I never seen so much.

Tbh, it was pure optimism!

The very cold air may start Scottish birds thinking of a holiday destination. But that is optimism too.

Its really poor this year, few reports of woodcock being shot which is good, ill hopefully get a go at them over the Christmas period with a couple of mates hopefully nail a few, was in Belfast yesterday and there was a load of teal and mallard on lagan at low tide, also saw a few geese too

I was shooting longtails today. Hundreds of pigeons on the beechmast. Groups of 50 plus constantly coming into the wood from distance. Strictly no shooting though. So they are safe and well fed. Didnt see a single woodcock.

Woodcock are so poor this year, it is my worst year that I can remember. With the wee man I haven't got out as much but still no volume of birds in my coastal area. The birds are further inland I think.

Seen about 500 pigeons high in the clouds on the M1 between Belfast and lisburn on Thursday at about 3pm god knows where they where headed for, my da spotted around a 1000 going into big wood somewhere he never told me where though, he's playing his cards close his chest, hopefully out later for a rattle at something.

• 3 weeks later...

So, there has been no report of pigeons in northern ireland on the forum since october. Birds in my area are still on beech mast! I can never remeber this in my lifetime. Also, absolutely no birds moved into the area in november. Again, I can never remeber this happening in my lifetime. So, whats happened? And whats the future?

Ever the optimist, I'm just putting it down as one of those years.

Hope your right. Its terrible. But I think they might shift on to ivy next. Nighthmare. Especially when you see bags of hundred plus being posted here every week! We are either going to have a well deserved 2015 bumper year or something has gone seriously wrong. In my lifetime since osr was grown in greater amount in gb, the numbers coming over here have gone down each year. This year 0! Could be the end of internal migration? At least, it could be unless we get hard weather. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Dr D

I am currently uploading a roost shooting outing onto Youtube, but this was only 7 pigeons in a wood we would normally get double figures easy in.

Beech mast has been so prolific in our area that pigeons haven't even touched the Holly berries yet; this would be their main source of food in our area.

I believe the problem with woodcock and pigeons this year is the fact that there hasn't been bad weather elsewhere. Normally if Scotland get a spell of cold weather we soon get birds coming across the water and arriving in the glens.

Lets hope this gives us more for the summer and harvest time!!!

Out today and shot a pigeon and a crow in a wood waiting for pigeons coming to roost but nothing materialized BUT did flush a woodcock but he was gone as soon as he appeared, wasn't much moving at all very poor day plus the wind died off which was a bit of a let down

• 2 weeks later...