Scope mount advice please. BSA Sportsman 5

JABB

I have a BSA sportsman 5 .22 rim fire and have bought a Nikko scope today to try. It is a 3-9 x40.

Now I need mounts for it.

Reading about one or two piece seems to be a hot potato, and I have almost decided to go 2 piece, but what do I need? Will it be a 3/8 rail and should I get medium height rings?

This will be a fit and forget for now to play with. It doesn't need to be anything special.

Ta

I have a sportsman 15 that was never designed to have any sight other than iron sights. I have done a lot of modifications to this gun which have enabled me to fit a scope. How will your rail be positioned and fitted to the gun? I looked on mine as a project piece and did a fairly major engineering job on it. The job all turned out well in the end and I ended up with a 20 round mag capacity, threaded for a silencer and the option of a scope and iron sights as a backup which are available for use all the time. The gun is of an age but is very very accurate and as far as I am concerned that is all that matters. The whole lot cost virtually nothing as it is not a fashion statement. The rabbits don’t know that and I can take them as I please out to 80 paces freehand quite easily. It would be interesting to see some pictures of your gun and I would be pleased to advise you where I can, should you so wish.

I just had a look on Guntrader and of the ones with a picture the only ones that have a rail for a scope are listed as the "Century model". Mine is /WAS like the last one which was fitted with Parker Hale target sights, circa 1950 >> 1955. Old but really accurate with a big mag capacity. Perhaps the ones with the target sights were selected barrels or something because it just does shot well and the barrel is a lightweight not a varmint or the like. The century models shown on Guntrader seem to have a thicker forend.

Hi, based on my airgunning experience, scope height is dependent on few things: trajectory, cheek height, objective diam

1- find the ammo that suits your gun and get it's Ballistic parameters

2- decide what is your hunting range (most likely) and your kill zone diameter

3- based on the above, work out a scope height &zero that gives you the flattest trajectory for your range. I used Chairgun free software but other ballistic software may work as well.

4- now you can see if you have the correct scope for your gun.

It sounds like bulls** and I am sure someone will come along and correct me but it worked for me.

For a rimfire the trajectory is very flat so it would require low mount but it depends on the range you shoot at. The closer the range the lower it needs to be.You can get a smaller objective scope if you do not need it at night and depends on budget.

Hope It helps...at least theoretically.

TSG

Just make sure you get good alignment with your eye, without lifting or lowering your head. If you start looking off centre through your scope POA will move away from the zeroed POI.

Good enough choice of scope is a 3-9 x 40, on such a gun I personally might keep my eye out for an old German scope like a 4x32 just because it will look in period without compromising the rig in the field. Such scopes are not uncommon and tend to live on granddads old gun gathering dust till its time for auction day. If you did the whole thing for economy forget what I say and just use the 3-9 till it gives up

OK, I have had the rifle out and the mounts are 1" already ( I thought they were smaller )

Anyhow, the mounts on there are Hillver 4416L Brno CZ527 & fox mounts. Can't find anything online about them, but they will do!

The gun, for referance, is a supersport 5.

I'd have the mounts to suit your shooting position so your cheek is just right for your mount. when you think you have it right, Close your eyes, lift your head off the stock then remount without opening them. How open your right eye if you are a right handed shooter. Now is your eye just right for the sight picture through the scope?

I also think mildot scopes help with a .22lr for holdover holdunder

Double clamp Ali air rifle mounts are fine on a .22 lr

• 4 years later...