Not to plan but a few in the end

fenboy

I was invited to shoot with Motty today as he had several cut rape fields for us to have a look at and was hopeful that we would be able to find some decent numbers of birds .

I was looking forward to getting among a few despite only finishing a 12 hr night shift this morning .

Once we got to the fields it became clear the farmers had been busy because almost all the ones we looked at had been cultivated and even the few that had not had little or no activity on them.

After about 2.5 hrs of driving around and still not finding anything worth setting up for we decided to make the short trip to one of my farms gambling that the one and only field of rape stubble had not been cultivated or had another shooter in residence .

As it happened we were ok on both counts , and things straight away looked more promising with a steady trickle of birds from two or three directions keen to visit the field .

Setting up was held up by a thunder storm overhead , one clap of thunder and lightning literally shaking the 4x4 we sat in !

Luckily after that initial downpour it remained dry despite threatening more storms once or twice .

We eventually got sorted starting with a magnet and about 35 decoys , the first couple of birds were added to a second magnet .

Shooting was once again frustrating with odd birds decoying text book style and many others drifting out of range , but we moved things around a couple of times and started to get a few more chances .

Its fair to say neither of us produced our best today , we had a few easy birds missed but equally some cracking kills .

In the end it was worth staying up for the total being 68 birds which after riding around for so long looking we were both happy enough with.

So as per another thread Norfolk does not have all the birds. You two seem to be the perfect partnership, one to carry all the kit, the other to shoot all the birds.

No, some of the birds has crossed the boarders into Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire!

Might have been a decent storm to shake the 4x4! I was at work/within a couple of miles of work all day and although threatening a big storm we did not get one!

Guest stevo

Well done lads ,

great write up , it reminds me of a lot of my trips out lately , still with a bit of luck I should be back in the field by the end of week , I have a shed load to go at , as soon as the swaff's are lifted ,

its nice to see a couple like minded chaps having a good day out , regardless of what mother nature throws at them , good on ya boys ( Bet Mottys a scream haha )

regards stevo

Well done lads ,

great write up , it reminds me of a lot of my trips out lately , still with a bit of luck I should be back in the field by the end of week , I have a shed load to go at , as soon as the swaff's are lifted ,

its nice to see a couple like minded chaps having a good day out , regardless of what mother nature throws at them , good on ya boys ( Bet Mottys a scream haha )

regards stevo

I used to love swarfed rape , my farmers now combine direct and this year only had the one rape field between the three farms I shoot so we were lucky to get a shoot on it.

Motty is good company in the hide , I think once i have taught him to shoot straight he may get the odd decent bag :whistling:

Guest stevo

I used to love swarfed rape , my farmers now combine direct and this year only had the one rape field between the three farms I shoot so we were lucky to get a shoot on it.

Motty is good company in the hide , I think once i have taught him to shoot straight he may get the odd decent bag :whistling:

I know what you mean ..... Blooming young-uns ;-)