Male or female Labrador for working.

silvo89

I've got a bitch fox-red lab. Never had such a keen to work/please and easy to train dog in my life. She lives with another six, mixed bunch and is loyal to me rather than any of the other dogs or my wife who is a dog magnet. She plays with the others but switches into work mode when required and she is spayed so no problems there.

As for breeding.....let someone else have all the hassle...

She will work as long as I can shoot! Maybe I'm just lucky.

GH

Very little difference in working ability or train ability as said the only problem is bitches come into season , which becomes a problem if you 100 % need a dog for the shooting you do, or you tend to shoot with other dogs in attendance.

Male Labs do not tend to mature as quickly a bitches

If you can manage for a while without a dog then get what you prefer.

You can have a ovary removal done on a bitch if you don't want to breed from her as it is less traumatic and less recovery time than a full spay.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/13_12/features/Safer-Spaying-Methods_20144-1.html

Also worth having a look at:

http://www.2ndchance.info/cruciatelongtermneuter.htm

Helps make a decision on pros and cons of dogs and bitches from whether to spay/neuter.

I've has both but personally prefer a bitch. Some..not all...Dog's need to be on the sex offenders list and water every tree and static leg possible. My bitch has been spayed as didn't want to breed from her so don't lose her now. Was easy to train and loyal. Like every female she can be sensitive but that's her nature. This is just my opinion and preference.

My partner and I are looking at getting our first lab and she wants to get a female, however when out shooting everyone seems to have males. Is there a reason for this I.e training / temperament ? Or could a female lab be just as good

Some reasons to that is they are stronger and don't come into season (meaning inconvenient breaks from work). Only time they are a big issue is when someone decides its ok to bring a bitch that's around its season. Dog or Bitch don't always mean as much as we think regards attitude, just like humans there are some hard women and soppy blokes