Wading kit - advice needed!

smad04

Hi guys,

I have recently got into off-roading in quite a big way and have bought myself a nice little toy (see details below) and am looking to add a wading breather kit, doe anyone have any advice on what to get/avoid?

They seem it vary in price quite heavily...

My new toy:

1972 range rover chassis (tax exempt)

1995 discovery body

3.9 V8 petrol engine with lpg conversion

Chevy flat exhaust exiting offside

Full under body protection

Winch

Snorkel

8" lift kit

Updated front fan

Braided hoses

I bought it from an old chap that had given up off-roading, so also got a truck full of spares and off-roading equipment!

Nice :) Good bit of suspension travel there...

Surely that is a Disco with RR running gear, not a Rangie with a Disco body? May be taking the proverbial calling it tax exempt!

I very very much doubt any part of that is tax exempt apart from the number plates. Chassis alone wouldnt give it enough points. Dodgey as ****!

Tbh I didn't even think about it until you guys started questioning, looking at the gov website (link below)... I am not sure how it was done, but I do know previous owner had it registered, had the sva and had it checked out with the police (local authority were very interested in it apparently as couple of the pcs did off-roading too)...

Any advice on the wading kit?!

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles

You buy one that is old enough!

Quite, but most of that one doesn't seem to be 'old enough...' And if you look at the DVLA web site, it doesn't seem to have enough major components that are... Don't want the OP to fall foul of the law and find himself in trouble... Even on the link he's posted it doesn't seem to pick up enough points to keep the reg...

Mike.

Tbh I didn't even think about it until you guys started questioning, looking at the gov website (link below)... I am not sure how it was done, but I do know previous owner had it registered, had the sva and had it checked out with the police (local authority were very interested in it apparently as couple of the pcs did off-roading too)...

Any advice on the wading kit?!

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles

I think all mostly you need is axle breathers, it seems to have enough of everything else. Check out Paddocks and other similar suppliers. New door seals, and as it's a petrol, good silicon seals over all the engine electrics. Also, beware of carp filling the rad or intercooler/aircon vanes. Many years ago I was at Billing for the annual LR show, went on the off-road course, had the engine bay jet-washed afterwards and only made it one junction up the M1 on the way home before it overheated, because the rads were totally blocked. Ended up going home on the back of the RAC... Towing a caravan as well... Good luck!

Mike.

Edited by Mike737

The wading kit for a range rover was a 1/4 bsp plug that screws in to the bell housing. and it doesn't work unless the bell housing. engine back plate and bottom flywheel cover are very well sealed, no biggy if its an auto.

if its extended breathers your after get some 1/4" (I think) plastic pipe fit it on the both axle breathers and both gear box breathers in place of whats already there and run them up the snorkel instead of just up to the bulk head.

but none of it will work 100% and if the axle and gearbox seals aren't tip top no real point doing it,

you can buy distributor and coil covers and loads of silicon grease on the leads.

Quite, but most of that one doesn't seem to be 'old enough...' And if you look at the DVLA web site, it doesn't seem to have enough major components that are... Don't want the OP to fall foul of the law and find himself in trouble... Even on the link he's posted it doesn't seem to pick up enough points to keep the reg...

Mike.

IIRC original ;

chassis, both axles, steering and suspension

would be enough, chassis is a must!

Yes on an original vehicle as it's a given that axles engine trans steering and suspension are original or direct replacements, however the body change will draw attention to the vehicles originality, if questioned to qualify as a rebuilt vehicle and retain it's registration and tax exempt status it would need, IIRC, 10 points, 5 must be from the chassis, the other 5 from components, axles 2, suspension 2, engine 2, transmission unsure? think it's 1, steering 1.

This allows a completely different engine and box to be fitted (many landys are upgraded using this clause ).

Oh yeah, don't think the body holds any points!!

I bought a rebuilt Ex Army ragtop Defender 90, years ago straight after the rebuild. The re-builder hadn't changed the reg documents from a 110 to a 90. When I sent them in I got a query from DVLA.

After a police inspection at a garage and an in depth check on the parts she had to go on a "Q" plate. No problem as then knew all the parts were cosher and even got a compliment on the quality of the rebuild from the inspecting garage.

Just the re-builder got a caution on doing the paperwork correctly.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

I bought a rebuilt Ex Army ragtop Defender 90, years ago straight after the rebuild. The re-builder hadn't changed the reg documents from a 110 to a 90. When I sent them in I got a query from DVLA.

After a police inspection at a garage and an in depth check on the parts she had to go on a "Q" plate. No problem as then knew all the parts were cosher and even got a compliment on the quality of the rebuild from the inspecting garage.

Just the re-builder got a caution on doing the paperwork correctly.

That'd be because the chassis was not a direct and new replacement, being a 90 rather than a 110

The chassis was brand new galavanised. Just the reg and some of the parts were from the 110 with the reg number and it had been shortened to a 90.

Brilliant vehicle though. Had her for over 10 years. Sold her by word of mouth to a Landrover enthusiast.

Sadly no power steering etc, so had to let her go when got arthritis and couldn't manage to haul her about anymore.