Need a car for daughter

rec-baller

i am looking for a car for my daughter, it will be her 1st car so realy need.s to be a 1ltr engine, i have been looking at

Corsa,s

Polo.s

Ka.s

i have a budget of £750 ( yes i am buying it !! & insuring it for her )

i am based near Chorley in Lancashire-- anybody got any connections with car dealers they could put me on to please hat might have a trade in they want to sell on

regards

shaun

just trying my luck on here-- some one might be selling a car that they have stopped using

went to look at a micra yesterday, 20 mile drive to look a rust pile, car was described as a brilliant first car- 1st too see will buy, no mention of the accident damage to the front and rear, scratches down both sides or that the drivers door had dropped 2 inches on the hinges and did,nt shut properly !!

so imm still looking

Unfortunately for your budget you are likely to look at a lot of garbage before you find a decent car.

The 1.0L corsas are a good little motor.

Also look at small diesels up to 1500cc as they tend to be as cheap to insure as the smaller petrol engines.

Edited by fenboy

I picked a saxo with 96k and well tidy for £500 . The mrs has had it a year with a gear box replaced at £60 secondhand and rear brakes cost £30 .

We swapped the water pump and oil/filters as no history available . Can't fault it.

Saxo and 106 are the same car and reliable as £500 goes.

Watch out for rotten cills on micras

Edited by team tractor

If you have a look at ford kA just have a look on the wheel arches and have a look around the petrol cap also open the cap an look round it they are bad for rusting inside there atb luke

Door sills and where the rear axle mounts to the body too.

I would avoid the 3 cyl 1.0 corsa. The engines are pants :yes:

Totally agree, my lad bought one for his first car and had boat loads of problems. Didn't do much better with his second car a 1.4 Astra.

Got sensible on his third and bought a Ford Focus, no probs so far.

yeh the corsa.s its the engine chip ,same problem on the ford ka,s get a 1.l fiesta not fast enough to get into trouble cheep as chips insurance scrapyards full of bits if the first bump happens.older jap cars toyota ,honda nissan ugly but reliable .if u get a pug look closely at the inner wings and under wheel arches not so much rust as gaping holes.

Edited by clakk

I am surprised at that , we had three on the go once , the wife and both daughters had them , never had any issues with the engines at all.

Cam chains are a common fail as the stretch. They normally stretch WELL before their service interval. Also they seem to suffer top end rattle from worn valve guides as low as 30.000 miles! I have seen a few with piston slap at sub 40.000 too. It's not an engine I would recommend. Infact I lost heart in Vauxhall after over 20 years of loyal following. From the MK1 astra through to the MK4 then the Nova,s, Chevette, Corsa MK1 and Cavalier MK2 and MK3. The last straw was an Agila with over £1500 spent on the engine due to the faults listed above. A old friend had the 2 of the Corsa 1.0 3 pot engines and had no luck either. I have now gone with Suzuki after 20+ year of Vauxhall due to a lot seen in the garage with engine wear faults.

I would avoid the 3 cyl 1.0 corsa. The engines are pants :yes:

I would disagree with you there Geordie.

I bought one for my daughters first car and it was great! Granted, the 3 cylinder 1.o litre is gutless, but so it should be for a first car....You just need to make sure the timing chain is decent, or just change it.

Jamie

I'd look at the cost of insurance before buying ANY Saxo. They have a huge "Chav" following, and you would be lucky to find an unmolested version for the money you're looking to spend....

My daughters now got VW Polo. Again they aren't without there faults.

Regardless of what car you get, at £750, they will all have their faults.... Also, as it's a first car, at £750, whatever you get would have already been someone's first car numerous times, so without doubt would have been "messed about with"....

Good Luck! :good:

Jamie

It's not always engine size that determines insurance costs...my missus paid more insurance on her 1.2 fiesta than her new car,1.6 vtec civic estate the insurance premiums are worked out in part by that make/model of car insurance history....ie..1.2 fiesta,popular 1st car...also a car that is crashed a lot by new drivers,lots of claims....1.6vtec civic estate..old mans car..less claims...worth thinking about..small engines/cars are not always cheapest..I'd much rather have my daughter driving something a little more substantial...