Gun fitting

Markt3815

Yes sort of I have a good relationship with a gunsmith just had a longer and adjustable pad fitted to my trap gun. also had a new pad fitted and stock trimmed on sporter, cost depends on what needs doing, could be £20 to £500....

My Winchester was fitted at Doveridge near Uttoxeter. The fitting and measuring was in with the gun as I bought it from them. It then cost £280 to have the comb raiser installed and the stock shortened and a kick-eze pad fitted by their gunsmith.

Picked it up a week later and they altered the comb raiser to suit me.

Gun fit is the most important aspect in buying a shotgun. It's not rocket science either, so no need to pay silly prices for oighty toity "experts"

In my humble opinion I would suggest a lesson with a Clay Pigeon Shooting Association Instructor trained in "gun fit" who can communicate effectively as a minimum BEFORE buying. He or She will tell you exactly what is involved. Taking that lesson could, and in all probability will, save you a fortune and should only cost £40 or so. someone like welsh warrior sounds ideal if you are in his area. Failing that contact CPSA. by the way I have no financial interest in replying to this post

Gun fit is the most important aspect in buying a shotgun. It's not rocket science either, so no need to pay silly prices for oighty toity "experts"

In my humble opinion I would suggest a lesson with a Clay Pigeon Shooting Association Instructor trained in "gun fit" who can communicate effectively as a minimum BEFORE buying. He or She will tell you exactly what is involved. Taking that lesson could, and in all probability will, save you a fortune and should only cost £40 or so. someone like welsh warrior sounds ideal if you are in his area. Failing that contact CPSA. by the way I have no financial interest in replying to this post

I don't agree that gun fit is the most important aspect of buying a gun . I think that the most important aspect of gun buying is buying the gun you want at the price you want to pay .

Guns are made on a set of average measurements for the average person . This means that a new gun will almost fit most people but will not fit anybody . Never be afraid of buying a gun that dosent fit you ,it can be made to fit you at not to much money . Don't be afraid to buy a gun that's to long in the stock it can be fettled to fit . Never ever buy a gun that is over short as this will cost a lot of money to put right if the stock has to be lengthened and it will look horrible. To buy a gun off the peg used or new that fits perfectly is one in a million .

Harnser

hi all dont want to hijack this tread but but using the wifes lanber yesterday thats the same as mine but got a

nice lump under my jaw today anyone no why and what can be done to sort it as i will be using it while mine is away

being fixed thanks in advance

atb dolphin

I don't agree that gun fit is the most important aspect of buying a gun . I think that the most important aspect of gun buying is buying the gun you want at the price you want to pay .

Guns are made on a set of average measurements for the average person . This means that a new gun will almost fit most people but will not fit anybody . Never be afraid of buying a gun that dosent fit you ,it can be made to fit you at not to much money . Don't be afraid to buy a gun that's to long in the stock it can be fettled to fit . Never ever buy a gun that is over short as this will cost a lot of money to put right if the stock has to be lengthened and it will look horrible. To buy a gun off the peg used or new that fits perfectly is one in a million .

Harnser

No problem at all, everyone is entitled to their opinion. its just that if you understand how important gun fit is and stick to the principles in the buying process you will end up with, as you say, a gun that you want at the price you want to pay and a far better shooting experience, without getting huge bills for remedial actions, especially if you are all thumbs, like me, when it comes to diy.

Went to holland & holland for the whole try gun experience

Cost was around £200 I believe

Came away with full set of measurements and I believe was worth every penny

Archi

I too have had the try gun experience, just waiting for my lump of walnut to season so the stock can be built to the exact measurements. Such a strange feeling to hold a gun as it's being adjusted and realising what the barrel picture (can't think how else to explain it) should look like.

Ps for those in the North west Bob Valentine offers fitting / try gun

Had mine done by a gunsmith with over 40 years experience, cost me £90 (no clays, just the work). I thought that was a bargain for what was involved.

Can't see how that works he will have a fair idea but only the shooting gives a true picture. To be fair most gun fitters are fairly accurate from a look but the way you and the gun interact is not always as per the text book.

Gun fitting is an Art as much as it is a science.

Ok thank you I, ll drop you a pm :)

Look forward to it hoping to get up to one of your rifle days soon.

Ok thank you I, ll drop you a pm :)

Look forward to it hoping to get up to one of your rifle days soon.

Guest cookoff013

sxs guns are usually short on LOP, its easyer to add than to take away (unprofessionally, with a pad).

i cant hit daylight without adjusting the lop of my merkel.