Insurance going up with change of colour?

Mentalmac

Hi,

I have a lovely old Vitara - that I got from a member on here.

All good, been slowly tinkering with it to keep her going a while - but the biggest issue there is at the moment is the paint.

If I wanted to re-colour it (By hand), and tell my insurance co, will the price go up much?

I did nato green,notified DVLA when i started painting, so got a new reg doc.Insurance weren't interested and on next renewal you dont need to notify if diff insurer as it comes up green on registration.Notifying DVLA is the most important but give your broker a call if worried.

Doddle to do with a radiator roller,the key is to prep well with a fine paper and then wipe over with a sticky wipe.Dont take the old paint off, just take all the shine off.

Nato paint about £40 for 5ltr,mine had 2x coats and still have half a tin left.

post-30855-0-53498200-1405948391_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-28184200-1405948675_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-36778300-1405948688_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

No laquer mate,just rolled on with a radiator roller and a 1inch brush for cutting in.I did mine in November in the garage so needed to get heaters in and took 2 days but I left it a week to harden off.This paint can take a couple of months to harden.If hard wearing stuff, I scrape down hedgerows and it hardley markes.If it does I just run the roller over when I get home lol.

Now is the best time to paint you could get it done in a day easy.

My original colour was silver.

Pity you were not nearer as I would of given you a hand prepping and painting.

Edited by Davyo

Tell your insurers - if you are not a kid with a hot-hatch it's unlikely to affect price but with an 80 group rating structure these days they may increase slightly on the basis non-standard paint could cause matching problems in the event of a crash. In a handful of cases if known fringe insurers to refuse cover on paint jobs - life to short to explain ins and outs of this but message is tell them.