AA or RAC ?

Will Poon

I've always been with RAC. Been great. Back in the day, 20 years ago I had a Renault 5 GT Turbo, tuned to hell, seriously rapid but broke down every 5 mins. RAC always helped me out. Now have more reliable cars so not needed them for a while.

My father in law had AA Relay. Never again. Bought a Lotus some distance away (300 odd miles iirc) broke down on way home, wheel bearing started making serious noises. Phoned AA, and with it being Relay, when had to stop every so often, change trucks etc. took an age to get back.

ATB

Jonathan

Edited by jgguinness

Been with the AA then bought a caravan. AA don't cover the caravan only the car. Will bring a caravan back if its ok and attached to the car at the time, but if its the caravan has a fault forget it.

RAC cover both so we swapped. We found they are a lot cheaper than the RAC even for undiscounted cover which makes a big difference to a young driver if on a limited budget.

We get discount through the caravan and camping club.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

I had the company fleet breakdown cover with AA in the past, they're rubbish... Got it with RAC for a year now, very happy with them, very quick response and recovery time, they even replaced the clutch cable on one of the vans on the road, so minimum time wasted.

I had a new Landrover a while back with 3 different breakdown covers (RAC 'cos my employer owned them, Modial 'cos it came with new car and Greenflag 'cos it came with my expensive bank account) anyhow a b/down occurred and I rang all three RAC promised 30mins and got there in 20 minutes. Modial promised 4hrs!! Greenflag was 2 hours but would call me closer to the time but never did. Guess who we are with still???

i,m leaving the AA after 13 years of membership due to the APPAULING service I received back in December when it took 13 hours and 45 mins to recover me 220 miles and after complaining very harshly yes I did get a cheque for £50 but that only covered my out of pocket expenses as every time they they dropped my car off the truck to wait for the next one [total of six yes six different trucks] it was at motorway svs .

and as of yet I have not had an apology or an explanation of the service given

so I would say stay clear of AA but then my vision is tainted against them

Just taken AA as they do a parts option which covers all parts causing the breakdown up to £500 with a £35 excess.

not worth the paper its written on my niece had the same and when it came to the crunch they weaselled their way out of paying

I am convinced its a kick in the nutts who ever you go with, i think they are all as good or as bad as each other.

We have had bad service from both RAC and AA, It irritates me everytime I take cover out as I dred having to use them because of poor service but they are a nessarsary evil.

I would say just go with who you can get the best deal with.

ATB

Matt

Had a strange experience with with wife's new mini - starting/heater problem but when it let us down one very cold day a couple of years ago I rang BMW who suggested ringing Mini Rescue. A VW transporter van arrived within 5 mins, he replaced a large plastic part of cooling system and 2 hours later all was ok. But how come a) so quick and b) he just happened to have quite a complex part in his van??

Will, I was with the AA since 87 and spent along time with them, indeed I remember in the 90's when the company was sold I actually benefitted by a couple of hundred pounds. I had occasion to use them once and was mucked about from A to Elbow and decided to move to RAC. I spent a long time with them only to find that they were the same and not as efficient as they advertised. I have now been with Green Flag for the last 6 years and get a good combined deal for me and my wife, which covers us both in any vehicle, even as a passenger and also covers me for all over Europe (shooting trips). I have never personally used them for breakdown but my wife who covers mega miles each year for her job has on several occasions and she has always been promptly and well looked after on every occasion. Green Flag is defo my choice :good: .

As someone who works for a local breakdown/recovery operator who is a contractor for nearly all of the various Breakdown/Motoring clubs (AA and Green Flag excluded)

If you are going to join RAC, get the most cover you can ie upto 'Recovery'

If you need recovery but dont have it you'll get charged huge amounts, about 3x what they pay a contractor.

As an aside, RAC has recently decreased its number of patrols, and patrols are always under increasing pressure to make sales of things like oils, coolants, parts, batteries

Best to deal with, and most helpful is by far LV insurance group