Kelly Kettle

Scully

They are a great idea, but a Jetboil so much better in almost every way.

I agree with this, its a nice idea to be able to brew up, but again its more kit to take and move about with. It already feels like I have everything including the kitchen sink when i go shooting anyway.

The Kelly Kettels do look nice nice but compact and gass is a much easier option. I looked at a kelly kettle when I was setting up a brew kit but decided in the end the compact gass route was much easier.

Jet boils are awsome but expensive too, I got a resporator bag and just made all my kit fit that and I can cook aswell as heat water with a plain compact folding stove.

ATB

Matt

Just take a couple of Aladdin stainless steel flasks with boiled water in. If you rinse the flask with boiling water to heat the internal metal before putting in the fresh boiled water they stay hot for about 8 hours especially if you use the pouring facility and not open the top fully. Carry the brew ingredients separate for a fresh brew every time..

They are a great idea, but a Jetboil so much better in almost every way.

Can't say I'd heard of that, so gave it a google. Looks a good bit of kit but think we're set on a Kelly really as no gas needed, and we can cook atop the Kelly while the brew is heating up. Thanks anyhow.

Sorry, there's been a few replies since I was compiling this one(phone rang) so will mention Jetboil to others. I think it was perhaps the romance of harking back to our Boy Scout days and lighting fires which made the Kelly appeal.Thanks all.

Edited by Scully

Kelly kettles are great fun.

We take them camping and when we go up to the hill lochs. When taking time to get a brew on is part of the fun and time getting the fire going is also time watching hills , rises or considering the next fly to try. You can get a fire going with dry grass , old heather , pine cones or little twigs.

In the winter we take gas stoves when you want a brew quickly and want to get warm. A good gas stove will give you boiling hot water in a few minutes .

Also with the Kelly kettle coming to boil I don't know if you would want smoke drifting up from where you are hiding on the marsh as it may put birds off ?

Kelly kettles are great fun.

We take them camping and when we go up to the hill lochs. When taking time to get a brew on is part of the fun and time getting the fire going is also time watching hills , rises or considering the next fly to try. You can get a fire going with dry grass , old heather , pine cones or little twigs.

In the winter we take gas stoves when you want a brew quickly and want to get warm. A good gas stove will give you boiling hot water in a few minutes .

Also with the Kelly kettle coming to boil I don't know if you would want smoke drifting up from where you are hiding on the marsh as it may put birds off ?

I agree, my Volcano Kettle is like a Kelly but without the handle - you use a removable handle grip instead, and it's a great bit of kit. The water boils super quick, and only uses a small handful of dried twigs and leaves. They last for ever and are very satisfying to use. Go for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phoenix-Camping-Equipment-Cookware-cooking-set-kettle-coffee-distilling-pan-/121020518781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1c2d62917d

Wonder if the distilling pan that comes with this set would get through customs. One way of keeping warm on a cold night, do your own distilling. Might make seeing the cross hairs a bit blurry.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phoenix-Camping-Equipment-Cookware-cooking-set-kettle-coffee-distilling-pan-/121020518781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1c2d62917d

Wonder if the distilling pan that comes with this set would get through customs. One way of keeping warm on a cold night, do your own distilling. Might make seeing the cross hairs a bit blurry.

It is not illegal to make coffee in the countryside! :whistling: