Night vision question

Sean100uk

Basically the f number represents the relationship between the focal length (the 5-125 mm bit) and the diameter of the hole in the lens that allows light to get through. F1.0 is the maximum aperture size which lets the maximum amount of light in and then each successive number in the sequence will allow half the light of the previous number. The sequence goes: f1.0 - f1.4 - f2 - f2.8 - f4 - f5.6 - f8 - f11 - f16 - f22 so a f1.4 will allow 2 times as much light through the lens as f2, 4 times that of f2.8 and 8 times that of f4.

the f number is the size of the aperture which is measured back to front to common sense. Small number, ie f1.6 is a large opening and f22 is small. So for night work a large aperture is preferred to gather as much light as possible. Adjustable might be preferred depending on ambient light/moon light pollution. This reminds me.....I need a night rig for my pcp :-)

I should've typed faster lol.

as just noticed falcons reply after I posted.

please also realise which everyone has failed to mention ,,,

the lower the number of aperture the shorter the depth of field

atb Evo

Very true - a clever man might exploit that aspect and make a slip on parallax ring with revised distances on it for very effective NV range finding if done with a fully open iris and maximum focus fussiness.

Edited by Dave-G