My latest fox

robbiep

Last night, a hell of a racket in the field behind the house at about 11pm, a fox screeching like crazy. Went out there with a lamp and my 12 bore, and could see from about 75 yards away that it was giving one of our cats some grief - not that the cat was taking any notice at all, probably viewed the fox more like dinner !

Anyway, it was only 50 yards or so from the chicken shed, so it had to go. No good shot at the time, so went out this evening, to see if it would come back to the same area.

Went out at about 9pm, 12 bore again, quietly tucked into the hedgerow. A warm evening, no wind, so the midges were active, and I hadn't bothered putting any repellant on ! Anyway, the wildlife gets used to me, blackbirds in the hedge, a couple of rabbits out too.

When I waved away a midge, one of the rabbits saw me, and scarpered down the hill a bit, only to come flying back up past me 20 seconds later. Quietly stand up. 50 yards away, moving across the field and away from me, is a fox. Gun up, safety off, squeak at him. He stops and turns. Squeak again. He's coming in like a train. 25 yards away, 42g of BB in an Alphamax meets him. As he's dropping, he gets the second barrel.

Dead on the spot. A good evenings work !

r88j6o.jpg

Dog fox, 42 inches nose to tail. Good condition (I suspect one of this years cubs). 17 lbs weight.

I think I deserve a beer