Car mechanics answer appreciated - asap

30-6

My son needs a front coil spring on his Renault Clio. We have a good engineer who can do it, but not sure of which compressor to buy. In the Haynes manual they state they needed a "professional one", which are very pricey.

As it is only going to be a one off ( or is it best to change both sides ?), will one of these fit ok.

Halfords - http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/car-tools/laser-coil-spring-compressor#tab2

or

Screwfix - http://www.screwfix.com/p/coil-spring-compressor-kit-2-piece-set/45986?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=5489#_=p

The reviews on the Halfords one seems good but no size is specified, while on the Screwfix one some are saying that at 250mm, they are a tad to short for some cars.

A quick reply would be very much appreciated - THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

There's a problem with the Halfords site at the minute with every page coming up not found, but looking on the Laser Tools site (I think it was one of their products from the Halfords link) it has a maximum of 235mm so no better than the Screwfix option on that count.

Laser Tools - http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?item=1480

Most of the compressors are in the region of 220-250mm, until you get into the professional category, for example this Sealey one opens up to 356mm (their cheaper ones are listed as 230mm)

Sorry though, I can't help with what size you'd need for a Clio, although I'd expect the Halfords / Screwfix etc ones would suffice - they're probably classed as professional so far as Haynes are concerned, they probably mean use a proper tool rather than bodge something together.

Thank you for a quick reply.

Another question i forgot to ask was, the outer rim of the tyre (it's the nearside), is wearing, there is no clunking or noise, it came to light as a report after a service. The ball joint or bearing was replaced last MOT, so would the wear be caused by this coil spring ?, as said no noise can be heard when driving.

EDIT to add - yes that's the one.

EDIT to add again - in the Haynes manual it looks like the sealy design they used.

Edited by 30-6

That method is fine on certain models of cars, but not the safest way to do things. Depending on the shape of the spring you may be better off with a spring compressor machine. If you intend to reuse the old shock, dust cover, top mount and top mount bearing, remove the complete assembly and ask a garage to swap over the spring for you. That way whoever is doing the job will only have to remove and refit the complete assembly, which is rather easy.

As for the uneven tyre wear, a broken or sagging spring could cause this, but I'd check all the suspension bushes and components for wear before getting the tracking done. It is also recommended to change springs in pairs across axles, as a new spring may sit higher than the older spring on the opposite side. This can also lead to tyres wearing prematurely.

Edited by Dancake

You want the twin hook compressors like those halfords ones, then you will want the tracking sorted. Whatever you do, not be tempted to grip the damper piston with a pair of pliers or pipe grips like i see so often.

And to the guy above who says cut the springs down, you clearly do not have a clue, it would be advisable not to listen to him.

Edited by Brad93

• 2 weeks later...

My son wants me to pass on his appreciation for all the help suggested for the OP.

Because he needed it done in one day (as him and his girlfriend have just bought their first house), and he is very busy, he opted to take it to a local garage. They charged £150 for everything - including some bracket which broke on removal, for BOTH sides, so he was happy with that.

So once again, we thank you for all your input :good: .

£150 for both springs in a garage!!!he needs to stay very friendly with them, the parts alone retail should be about the £50-60 mark, a ton to fit is a good price, as for fitting in pairs, that would be right years ago but now its not so much wear and tear but **** materials and low profile tyres which hammers springs, they fail so often now that changing them as they break is not that much of a problem