any 20 bore fans?

archiebald

After recently using my old Belgian .410 hammergun a fair bit I took my 12 bore out and it felt like I was carrying and shooting a cannon! I love my 12 bore but after wandering around and enjoying something so light, quiet and more of a challange to use I decided I'd like to have a go with a 20 bore.

Hopefully I can collect mine from my RFD at the weekend and have an outing to see for myself and the thought is quite exciting!

Is there many 20 bore users on here and what's your opinions on them?

Cheers, Tom.

I've got 3 shotguns currently :

410 Webley/Scott bolt action (2.5 inch chamber). Light. Easy to carry a bunch of cartridges without feeling like you're lugging half a tonne of lead up the hills.

20 bore Gunmark Kestrel S/S (70mm). Again, quite light. Probably going to be my game gun for the coming season. Currently having the stock and blueing professionally refinished.

12 bore Bettinsoli O/U (3 inch chamber). This was my main gun ... until I got the 20 and the 410 ! These days, it's far more used just for foxing, due to the nice big loads I can put through it.

Have to agree with you, the 12 bore feels like a big lump of gun compared to the 20. But the big loads available for foxing for the 12 mean that it's certainly got it's place in the cabinet, for now at least !

After recently using my old Belgian .410 hammergun a fair bit I took my 12 bore out and it felt like I was carrying and shooting a cannon! I love my 12 bore but after wandering around and enjoying something so light, quiet and more of a challange to use I decided I'd like to have a go with a 20 bore.

Hopefully I can collect mine from my RFD at the weekend and have an outing to see for myself and the thought is quite exciting!

Is there many 20 bore users on here and what's your opinions on them?

Cheers, Tom.

If you don't mind paying quite a lot more for your cartridges, or if you decide to go down the home-load route, then the 20g will be a great addition to your collection.

As a field gun, they are a pleasure to haul around, and they will drop pretty much anything that a 12g will.

As far as clays go, they will perform very well once mastered, although I don't think that they will replace a 12g any time soon.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new acquisition - let us know how you get on with it. :yes::good:

I normally use a Beretta DT10 Sporter, a lovely gun, but designed for heavy use and therefore no lightweight. I've started to use my daughter's 686 20 bore and have completely fallen for it; it's incredibly pointable and quick to bring up on target. I shoot no worse with it than with the 12 and often better, especially on fast targets such as simulated driven clays or fast rabbits.

Cartridge choice is important, if you put a 28g load, a normal 12 bore load, through a 20 bore with a much reduced mass, you are going to feel it! Remember basic physics.

I prefer 24g and, increasingly, 21g, comfortable and effective. If I had only one gun it would have to be a 12, simply for the incredible versatility. As I have a choice, I find I absolutely love the 20 and use it more and more, especially with the wide range of commercially available ammunition. Eley CT is good, Fiocchi Top 20 and Hull Pro Twenty excellent..

Tend to buy from Anthony Evans at Claverdon Cartridges near Warwick, competitive, good range, lovely guy, from Edge Hill Shooting Ground near Banbury; good and cheap. For example, I paid nearly £65 for a two-fifty box of 24g 20's from one dealer (Needs must, don't ask) but only £47 from Edge Hill!

Fiocchi is notably cheaper than Hull or Eley, the cartridges are very low brass headed, no-frills printing on the case, clearly a budget load, but I find them very, noticeably, smooth and consistent and indistinguishable from the premium brands in terms of results. I've put a thousand through the 686 without any issues at all. Usual disclaimers apply.

Last week, I finally took the plunge and bought a little 687EELL.............

Very nice,

I have 2 shotguns:

* 12g Browning 30" MC for clays

* 20g Mossberg Pump action for fun and for being light to carry in the field.

I love both guns/calibres but if money were no object I would have a O/U 20g multi choke and 30" for walking around. 20g is a joy to shoot and it would be nice to see more being used as maybe cartridges could come down a little in price.

ATB

Matt

Thank you for your replies they sound encouraging I'm looking forwards to pick it up now from my RFD, hopefully this weekend. I'm not too worried about the price of carts as I only use it for a wander to pot rabbits and pigeons ect. So won't be firing big amounts. I only paid £135 for it, its a kestrel s/s and looks very tidy and the man I naught it from is a real gent.

What sort of cost are 20 bore cartridges per box?

Many thanks, tom.

I'm shooting 20 gauge almost exclusively now. The range my 27gram 6 reloads consistently knock pigeons dead out of the sky never fails to amaze me, I see no need for any more gun.

Totally agree with Sitsinhedges :yes: Just been out with my 20g, and 28gram 6 fibre reloads, 2 pigeons and 3 crows, then the baler moved in :/ But all stonking shots and as I've remarked before on this load, they were literally "punched" out of the sky :good:

I own two 20 bores one is a Hushpower O/U and the other is a Benelli semi auto, I do like both and they get a lot of use.

The cost of the cartridges is the biggest drawback.

I also have three lightweight 12 bores , none over 7lbs, which I can use them for long periods without a weight issue and the cartridges are cheaper.

Totally agree with Sitsinhedges :yes: Just been out with my 20g, and 28gram 6 fibre reloads, 2 pigeons and 3 crows, then the baler moved in :/ But all stonking shots and as I've remarked before on this load, they were literally "punched" out of the sky :good:

Girls guns that's what my wife shoots!!

I on the others hand use a little boys gun love my 28 bore 25g seems to be a devastating load from game bore.

Edit should have added I loved my 20 bore until my wife nicked it. Hence I bought the 28

Edited by welshwarrior

My partner has a 20 bore Beretta O/U and it is lovely. So lovely I often borrow hers and for some reason I always feel like I shoot better with it. Puts game on the table just like a 12 bore but is a very civilised carry - not that I mind my 12 bore. It's lead in the air in the right place that counts. Have fun (post a pic of your new gun?)

Years ago sold an Investarm .410" for a kid starting shooting, sold it for a silly too low price to get him into shooting. Regretted it instantly.

Short while later bought a second hand Investarm 20g, to say the pattern is good on both barrels is seriously not doing it justice, the pattern is absolutely fantastic.

When i fractured my spine, i bought some 21 gram 7 1/2 Gamebore to get me going again, squirrel and jackdaws and magpies have no chance at 30 ish yards, 25 gram 6 Eley is great for pigeon and rabbit.

You can use it like a rifle at sitters or swing it on movers, it shoots exactly to point of aim.

I'm not a fox shooter, only shoot them if required (no syndicates where i shoot), around chicken sheds etc., close range, 28 gram Alphamax BB or AAA drops them perfect.

I don't shoot enough to be concerned about the cost, they are dearer than 12g, but the fun factor and ease of use outweighs this

I do use 12g, but use light loads due to health problems. If i was to buy a new shotgun, i would seriously consider a 20g. :good:

Guest cookoff013

i actually wouldnt mind a 20gauge, its the one gauge i have not used more than twice. i`ve even had a go of a 28gauge for a day or 2. the .410 is a sweetie too.

but i havent used 20g for a long time.i did consider getting a cheapie, but then i`ll just end up loading for it anyway, at more cost.

what payloads are most used by 20bore, as the mec 20gauges are set up for 7/8oz or 25grams in real money... just wondering like?

I use two twenty bores. A Beretta AL391 Urika 2 Gold and a Caesar Guerini Maxum game gun. O/U 30 in barrels.The auto is very nice to use sitting down in a hide shooting pigeons.I shoot a bit of choke in the Guerini and have some good birds with it. A twenty bore will do pretty much anything a 12 will do as long as you put the shot in the right place.

I still use a 12g SxS London boxlock made in 1906 as I enjoy using different guns from time to time.

Edited by Whitebridges

I only shoot 20b, I don't know if it's the combination of the gun fit, the pattern or what but I seem to ***** less birds than my longstanding shooting friends, likewise when one of them uses his 20 instead of his auto 12 he seems to get better results.

I'm convinced a twenty with the right cartridge (I use 26g of 6 RC) it has a more compact pattern at the longer ranges.

But this could just be me, and I'm confident with the gun I use!

I only shoot 20b, I don't know if it's the combination of the gun fit, the pattern or what but I seem to ***** less birds than my longstanding shooting friends, likewise when one of them uses his 20 instead of his auto 12 he seems to get better results.

I'm convinced a twenty with the right cartridge (I use 26g of 6 RC) it has a more compact pattern at the longer ranges.

But this could just be me, and I'm confident with the gun I use!

I have a theory Kyska, that the shot column in the 20g produces these good results. A pattern plate will only show a 1 dimensional view of what is actually happening. I have always thought that the 12g throws a fairly open and flattish pattern, unlike the smaller gauges that have a longer column of shot in the cartridge before being fired on a like for like cartridge. ie 28 grms 20g/12g. I think a long shot column really helps as much as a good pattern. Just my theory!

I had a nice 20b BLNE made by JF Smythe. A lovely little gun but pysically too small for me to handle easily. My hands were just too big for the wrist of the stock and the barrels, it felt too delicate. I've since given it to my sister and have replaced it with a 16b (a Jeffrey BLNE). The 16 I think is going to be perfect for me as a walking gun.

Edited by theshootist

I have 2 20's at the moment. Should be picking up a Beretta this weekend .......for the wife!!!!! Been asking myself why she ends up with a better quality gun than me!

Anyhow, I love my 20,s but still shoot better with the 12g auto for some reason although I rarely take it out.

I shot some Hull subsonics 21gm last week. Bought them for the wife who has just started shooting a 20g. Really smooth and didn't affect my score much. She loves them so I guess I will be looking for the cheapest deal around.

I would like to swap the auto for the same model in a 20 so I will have the full set .

GH