Still Struggling for Numbers my way!!

Buck  Hunter

Good Morning,

Been out a couple of times this week with a bag of 14 and 11 seem to still be struggling on numbers compared to other PW members. Loads of pigeons feeding but they seem to just leave the fields and not return there are also a few flight lines across where I have been shooting however the pigeons just continue on their way have used flapper bouncers etc just cant seem to pull them in getting a bit frustrating!!!! - Shooting RAPE STUBBLE

Any Ideas? or just keep going at it... :)

the best time iv found to go is later in the afternoon when its cooling down but then by 730pm they seem to disappear any way so im only getting 2 1/2 - 2 hours shooting but have still managed 22 witch for this time of year is **** plus I have noticed there more interested in fields that are being combined than those that are finished or bailed and cleared hope this helps

I am also struggling so far this harvest. My problem is that the birds seem to have deserted the places that I normally see them in abundance. In a 'normal' year I would be seeing several hundred on the rape stubbles that I can shoot.

I saw a fair few on peas yesterday afternoon. I wouldn't really expect to see many on peas at all, now ; normally the pigeons would have long since moved on to cereals or rape. I'm heading out for a go at them soon.

The most important thing is the amount of traffic into and over the field, no magic gizo or plastic fantastic will do any good without the birds being present.

Thanks for the replys going out again Friday afternoon between 2-7 see how it goes I guess this will again be on rape stubble as Farmer has a lot of rape in the ground this year!

Anyone got any suggestions for best set up rotary, flapper etc how many decoys?

Got a lot of pigeons this way, I'm waiting for the rape to be cut, there is a few hundred on it now but it's still standing and I'm not going to shoot and leave them. Got a few hundred on a barley stubble as well and hoping for a go this weekend, will watch them every day to check the numbers.

There has been 100-150 pigeons feeding and constant stream overhead just rarely does only 1 or 2 decoy or come into range resulting in a small bag.

Is it a decoy set up problem? Are the birds shying off?

Did they fly straight over or did they flit about like they had seen you? Spread your decoys out make the patten bigger, just keep trying different things, try a magnet or if you use a magnet all the time try without it, make a good hide too try that. Without looking at your set up I can't say what I would do differently, there are many more experienced people on here than me and if someone lives near you maybe you could take them with you one day to get a new set of eyes on your set up. Could just be they are feeding else where or something like that, what time of day are you going? Try afternoons this time of year. Hope you find success and kill a good bag soon! Rape should be a good kill with luck, I got some beans that will be combined later and I think that where the big day will be, had all my big big bags on beans closely follower by sugar beet tops. Rich1985.

Edited by rich1985

Good Morning,

Been out a couple of times this week with a bag of 14 and 11 seem to still be struggling on numbers compared to other PW members. Loads of pigeons feeding but they seem to just leave the fields and not return there are also a few flight lines across where I have been shooting however the pigeons just continue on their way have used flapper bouncers etc just cant seem to pull them in getting a bit frustrating!!!! - Shooting RAPE STUBBLE

Any Ideas? or just keep going at it... :)

I feel your pain I really do

I have been facing the same situation, loads of birds feeding on fields but not decoying well, and don't seem to be able to pull them off of flightlines, also on rape stubbles

gets a bit disheartening reading the reports of everyone seeming to shoot hundreds every time they venture out

kind of reassuring to know im not the only one struggling

lets hope things pick up or we finally manage to find the right place, on the right field on the right day :lol:

Good evening Buck Hunter , I think the problem is your plastic deeks are shining in the sun , I only use plastic deeks as a last resort and then they are flock deeks. All ways use dead birds !! Even if you only have one to start , pigeons are inquisitive birds and like to no what its cousin is doing , so comes into range and now you have 2, and so on.

Hope that helps ,

Atb ezi

A friend and I walked a couple of huge wheat fields Tuesday evening and there were hundreds on the flattened areas , but only a few on the nearby rape fields, they do seem to be continually on the move, as to decoys, use what you have but change to dead birds as soon as you start to get a few, I use them on cradles raised above the ground to make them stand out, also carry a few flocked full bodied which I put up on short canes on bales, straw banks or above standing crop, anything to make them visible from distance, I find this time of year only the young birds will decoy straight in, the older birds are coming in to have a look but not committing until they have had a good look around, often circling out of range before coming in to get a closer look, my tips, keep low, keep still and pick your shots, don't be tempted to blast away at long shots out of frustration, if you have set up well there will be another one along before you know it. anyway its not just about killing pigeons, just getting out in the peace and quiet and enjoying the surroundings can be very rewarding. :yes::yes:

UMM Interesting I have never had a problem with the plastic deeks before however going out tomorrow afternoon so will use more real birds as have some frozen ready thanks for the advice!

I think your plastics would be fine. If they're set on a particular field they'll come in. I always start with plastics and I do ok most of the time.

I see that a lot of people start with the plastic deeks mine don't shine as I have managed to take the shine off them and when on the drilling earlier in the year birds would land next to the plastic deeks I will report how I get on tomorrow having studied the area a few times I know where I need to be so just hope I get some good shooting,

There have been many reports on this forum of decoyers watching a particular field and identifying flight lines for a planned session in the future and then having a poor day. To my cost many times I have fallen foul of being too inflexible on the chosen day, religiously setting up where my observations of a few days previously led me to believe would be the best spot.

If the lines are the same then fine. If they have altered then you must alter your plans.

A factor of late has been the sun. Yesterday I had to forsake the best spots in order to get out of the burning rays. You may have to do the same.