Flys !!!!

Willow32

Went shooting yesterday and kept some birds for decoys , stuck some in fridge and a few in freezer. Well went to the fridge this morning to get the birds ready for another day out.....and you've guessed it was a mess ...maggots everywhere. Well that put a stop to shooting, what I want to know is if you freeze the pigeons would it kill the flies eggs ?...also what do people use in the field to put there birds in to keep flies off....I did have mine in a bag..but the **** got in.

Regards

Willow32

I use hessian sacks. I put them in an old sports holdall, the vinyl plastic type, and fill it with water. Most of it drains out on the doorstep before it goes in the car, but a certain amount if water stays in the bag all day, and keeps the sacks wet. As I shoot birds, I retrieve them immediately, put them in a sack and stash it under the hedge in the shade. The flies will go to it, but they don't get in. Just don't leave shot birds lying in the open a moment longer than you have to.

I have found a good use for a stealth net.... :oops: As the inner lining is quite fine then I spread the birds around a bit in the shade and put the net over them.

That way they will cool down a little quicker as next to each other in a sack I found the ones at the bottom were " cooked "

Wet sacks are great just with the v long walk some times the stealth net is far lighter....

Also I will take any hard hit ones and make a small pile away from the birds and leave them out as the fly's tend to head to them....

TEH