First of the rape stubbles.

JDog

I arranged to shoot some new ground with a friend today. He could get there before I could and I asked him to identify the lines in and tell me where we should set up. When I got there he had no idea and I don't blame him as there were lines all over the place.

The most important factor this afternoon was the strong sun which was touching 28 degrees in the shade. That cut out the best positions of that there is no doubt so we had to set up in the shade of a high hedge. The wind was so wrong it was not true - strong and straight into the hides. The rotaries were placed 50m out from the hides to encourage birds to swirl round into the pattern which they mostly did but some just could not get in between the hide positions and some rape which was still uncut infront of us. Those birds simply carried on.

The best birds came from a long way out infront of us, straight over the field and straight over our heads with the wind at 35 - 40m high. They were corkers to shoot and during our time out we picked over 20 birds behind us shot in this way. Between us we had 142 on the clickers and we picked 138.

I have found a new outlet for birds in the feather in the form of another pub. I shall grow very fat on the exchange dinners and beer.

JDog.....can I ask what might seem a stupid question.....

If you shoot over 100 pigeons in really hot conditions how do you still get pubs to take them from you? I've shot a few over the last few days and within minutes they seem to be crawling with various nasties.

I wondered if you take some kind of chiller bag with you and collect them in as you go?

I don't use a chiller bag. Sacrifice a few pigeons as decoys and keep the rest in the shade and cover with sambucus branches or similar or carp sacks (pike sacks in your case) or wet hessian. There may be blow fly eggs on some of the birds but they will only be hours old and if the birds are chilled or even plucked straight away there will be no damage or contamination.

Any 'nasties' crawling on the birds will not do any harm either.

I have no storage facilities at home so all of my birds have to go into a chiller somewhere or other as soon as I leave the field.