Ever lost interest?

Brad93

Hardly had the gun out of late, the rifle was probably last out of the cabinet over a month ago and the shotgun not since around March!

Not sure if it is because I have got back into my fishing or whether it is because I've got bored of the small bit of permission I have. This area is pretty much locked up with other shooters having most of the permission, I only have about 7 acres of rabbit shooting and as you can imagine going round the same small bit of land.

Anyone got any ideas what I could do to get the bug back?

Try a bit of clay shooting. Lots of grounds about. Normally around £10 for 50 clays around our way and your cartridges and a good natter into the bargain if you have got some mates to go with.

Airgun clubs are normally very cheap and a lot of fun too. I know you can't eat the results, but is fun.

Going through a phase of that myself at the moment Brad, although, like you the fishing season has started, so I've been doing some of that lately.

Although I probably differ a bit, in as much as I struggle with mobility. So getting the interest to line up with the ability on the same day can prove a pain. Literally!! :lol:

Jamie

Been that way for some years, bit of a faf to get a gun out. Have lost all my rabbits to VHD but still run a pheasant shoot and do some of the keeping. These days I mainly trap, I have another member here once a week or so shooting crows. maggies and fox if one shows that avoid my traps. Tried target shooting at Bisley, came 2nd , 3rd twice and 4th twice in 5 outings with my 20BR fox rifle, so perfectly acceptable against dedicated 6PPC BR rifles but no big buzz, bloke who usually wins uses 6 barrels a year so its a deepest pockets wins job as you might expect. I have shot for 50 years so and have killed my share of most things deer excepted or as many as I want or feel the need to kill. Will still make the effort to nail any foxes once the combines get started to protect the pheasants. I have liked the vids here of decoying, not really had a go at that since my teens with a Miroku 700 skeet gun, and I might try that, I do find killing pigeons challenging, seems to be a lot of space around them !!

Just cant get into it at present, have given away or sold most of my pheasant days for this winter as well, thinking of selling a few of the less used toys as well. I seem to be getting into photography, my daughter bought a Cannon EOS a while ago, I used it to take some pics of 46233 as she steamed through my village with 13 on the back on a tour, 22 pics in one pass !!, got 4 or 5 that are as good as those published in magazines and that surprised me. Took it on helpers day last year and wandered round taking pics of all and sundry and again got some cracking pics.\

My job selling stoves and logs is usually an 80 hour week from about Sept to March so pretty tiring, then its 3 months of 7 day weeks cutting logs for the next winter, have got 2 days left on logs this summer.

Things change in life, that is life.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Going through a phase of that myself at the moment Brad, although, like you the fishing season has started, so I've been doing some of that lately.

Although I probably differ a bit, in as much as I struggle with mobility. So getting the interest to line up with the ability on the same day can prove a pain. Literally!! :lol:

Jamie

I have mobility problems. Got a Tramper put the gun in a holder on the back of it. Will do 8 inches of water and a 1 in 4 hill. The landrover of mobility scooters. Even rigged up a little trailer. got it 2nd hand of disabled ramblers site. Great for trotting the red setter out. Trouble is the 8 miles an hour setting only extends his trot. Have to let him off for a gallop.

Don't think I ever lost interest, just that my priorities changed somewhat for a few years. Was always keen to get out, but life and circumstances seemed to get in the way. I can understand how patrolling the same small patch of ground would get tedious; there's nothing like the odd surprise to keep the juices flowing.

Any chance of building yourself a high seat from which to chill out? It's nice this time of year simply sitting back and watching the sun go down...taking a rifle with you adds that little 'extra'.

i got sick and tired of the politics and other shooters getting there nose put out.nearly lost the plot one night(after bieng spoken to like ****) so i got into target shooting at a very good club out to 1000 yards now i like that much more and i only go out every now and again. :) enjoy it when i do get out :good:

Over the off season i tend to shoot very little, but that is only because at the moment i work anything from a 60 to 80 hour week and when i do have time to go shooting i only have clays to shoot as i have no permission at the moment and i just cannot be bothered for a few clays.

I lose interest this time of year, even though this is when I should be shooting big bags of pigeons and rabbits I just can't be bothered . I was asked to shoot on some laid barley a couple weeks back a basically watched 90 odd pigeons rot before the day was out . I'd rather shoot 10 pigeons when there's snow on the ground and work my dogs than shoot 200 in the baking sun .

I go through this every year,I hate end of May through to mid July asI am out I am out 3 days a week at othertimes and I find this period when the crops are up and the margins the same it kills me.However harvest stared so was out from 10pm last night and got back 5am quick game prep and a kip and was back out 10am this morning.I have only came home as a wheel fell of the combine lol,gona grab some crub and will be back out at midnight.

I lost interest for around 4 years. I was hooked to shooting with airguns ever since I was 9 years old,but lost interest when I was about 16, when I started going out, and getting more "sociable" hobbies. Had a really bad illness when I was 17, and was relatively lucky to get out of it alive or not seriously disabled, so after that I lost the "killer" instinct required to shoot a pest. Last year we had some problems on our land with foxes taking the chickens, so I put in for my SGC and FAC. What I enjoy most now, is that when waiting in the hide, I go into my own little world. It's just catharsis at it's best.

A stray racing pigeon came to our house and we had it as a pet for a few months, so I have inhibitions about shooting pigeons, and an old girlfriend was OBSESSED with rabbits (no jokes please :P), so I have trouble with shooting rabbits. Foxes, corvids and squirrels are my main quarry now.

Hardly had the gun out of late, the rifle was probably last out of the cabinet over a month ago and the shotgun not since around March!

Not sure if it is because I have got back into my fishing or whether it is because I've got bored of the small bit of permission I have. This area is pretty much locked up with other shooters having most of the permission, I only have about 7 acres of rabbit shooting and as you can imagine going round the same small bit of land.

Anyone got any ideas what I could do to get the bug back?

It's summer, wait until the season kicks in.

All round brentwood, permission is tied up by clubs, so join a club.

Edited by Richie10

A change is good as a rest, I like to fish I like to shoot among other things. Some years I fish more than I shoot and vice versa. I should be bored witless short term if I only had 7 acres and I doubt the rabbits could last long. Had swing years were I only really shot targets, had years I only fished seatrout or bass etc.

Why not just book a few days rough shooting etc at different spots for the coming season? That way you will go and find out the answer to your own question. Thousands of shooters only ever shoot on booked days.

You have only 7 acres and lots of other shooters around you. Maybe some of the other shooters are in the same position as you. Can you get in contact with some of them and form a sort of syndicate with the landowners agreement and combine and share your permissions and go out together sometimes. You all end up with more land to shoot over and a few shooting buddies too hopefully.

Must be something about mid summer, maybe the heat, maybe the quarry, I don't know but it doesn't feel right dripping with sweat in a highseat. The crops are all getting high so find it difficult to zero my rifles, the trout just swim lazily around the surface feeding on something I cannot replicate. I feel the same every year, then all of a sudden the crops are off, I will have a few days on the pigeons until the stubble is ploughed in, and as summer starts to close I can once again zero my rifles as and when. The trout are chasing fry into the margins and venison is back on the menu, the interest is regained but I will feel the same again next year I know.

The current lack of interest sounds to me is down to a lack of a challenge ‘same-old-same-old, can get to be uninspiring to say the least and then we lapse into can’t be bothered syndrome!

Remind anyone of something else perhaps??

Just have to find a way to put the pep back in but a loss of interest never!!!

I’ll ask the wife, “What do you say dear”?

A new permission, umm, now that would be a challenge!