Firearms License for 15 year old

lou13

Hello,

I am looking at getting a firearms license for a .22lr and a .17hmr and possibly even something a little bigger mainly for shooting rabbits and foxes. I've heard that although you can get a license at 14 they are reluctant to issue you with one if you don't got to any target clubs. My father has a shotgun and firearms license and I have a shotgun license.

Is it worth me applying for one? (I'm in the North Yorkshire area if that makes a difference)

Any advice much appreciated,

Thanks,

lou13

North Yorkshire are very sensible.

If you have access to land and a mentor (father).

If you have a SGC there should be absolutely no reason why you cannot hold a FAC.

What calibres has your father got? If I was you I'd put down exactly the same and ask for them to be listed on your cert as shared with a shared cabinet.

My son got his fac and sgc at 15, however he had been shooting since he was 8 with shotgun and air rifle.He got his certs with no difficulties, FAC even came back an open cert.He spent 2yrs out in the field,3 days a week observing me with the rifle.I would speak with your father as the gun you use will poss have to be on a shared basis.My son uses my rifles but has no unsupervised use or access to guns or cabinet which I stipulated on his application.

Your fathers input and knowledge should give you a head start,but it would be advisable to attach a letter to the application like I did for my son telling them what experiance he had and what conditions I would be putting in place if a licence was granted.Good luck son I hope you get it,by the way although we are licenced under Durham our main permissio s are in Northallerton and North Yorks FEO's are cracking, met a few of them for land checks.