Poor sea fishing

islandgun

The Portuguese fleet took alot more than their quota of mackerel a few years ago. They are now penalised, so in few years alot more should start turning up. However, the quota for mackerel are generally targeted by large trawlers that cant so easily hide what they doing or pass their catch on. As I said, the mackerel are out there, but there are holding in deep water in the irish sea. There is alot of water. Because they are a pelagic species the mackerel are not as often a bycatch. Its this that helps with their sustainbility.

• 2 weeks later...

Climate change has warmed the sea and the mackerel are all up North now, like Iceland!

Seriously, it's true.

Was speaking to a fish farmer today they monitor sea temperatures at various depths and he said that the temperatures are 2 degrees higher this year than last year

2 degrees is a lot.

Its huge ! the temperature quoted to me was taken at 6m, I will see if I can find any data for different depths, coincidently ? the lobster catches are the best for years, Im wondering if the north atlantic drift has shifted slightly this year for whatever reason,

• 4 months later...

Climate change has warmed the sea and the mackerel are all up North now, like Iceland!

Seriously, it's true.

Caught a Pollack the other day which promptly regurgatated a mackerel, they are reported to be with large shoals of coalies, A salmon farmer was telling me that the sea temperature has been high all year, Mackerel in January in the outer Hebrides :/

I'm surprised you could fish with the current weather.

Mackerel in January anywhere in British Isles is unusual isn't it?

Heard quite a few reports of a late flush of mackerel in Cornish and Devon waters, but that was back in Sept/October.

:) this was before the storms we have been without power for a few days, pc until today, iv'e taken mackerel in Oct but unheard of in Harris in Jan, pollack fishing is at its best just now, do you know if any pollack or bass inshore in wales,