How to value a Landy Defender? where do you start?

malkiserow

How do I value a 1986 landrover defender

Petrol/LPG conversion.

LPG tanks and lines just replaced 2 months ago

SWB + hard top with side windows and side hinged single rear door

Chassis OK has had 1/4 previously replaced.

Has a different head fitted with slightly more power and a webber carb on that.

Had a full paint job about 5 years ago and looks nice

Both side doors replaced for younger model ones before the paint job.

This is not a green laned motor, it is used for towing a trailer from time to time but just as a run around vehicle for the last 15 years.

Owned by an engineer who likes to keep it all working nicely.

So what might the value be? maybe it is a range with hlgher and lower values?

Edited by malkiserow

That's a real tough one. I have been studying the prices on LRO.com for a couple of months now as I'm getting ready to make a similar purchase but have come to the conclusion that over the 25-30 year life of such vehicles the spread in possible value is huge.

I think you have to ask "what is it worth to you" I know I'm as much use a choc T pot :-)

dont think they were called defender then.....would be a 90 or 110.....what i look for is how original is it...chassis.....i dont like conversions....and the engine been messed around with.......the more original the more money it is worth

as a previous post says...one person will think it is worth a £1000 quid.....another may be willing to pay £4000 quid.....it sounds like a motor that hasnt been messed about too much...............and if it is running nicely ...gauge how much more life is in it.....my guess is £2750-£3200.......if it was original no conversion no fancy lights etc...£3700

depends who is looking at it....

no fancy lights.

I think I called it a defender because it has those polymer wheel arch add ons but these may have been put on by a previous owner. At 1986 and SWB that makes it a "90" then?

It does run nicely and I've known it for a long time. I did a run to Lowestoft in it towing a boat, it ran like a good-un.

hah...its a minefield.......if it is running nicely and starts well dosnt chuck out loads of smoke.....then buy it if you are happy to do a little regular maintenance on it.......i will say that parts are cheap for it and easily obtained......buy quality oil filters and good oil and dont skimp on antifreez,,... it also keeps then waters galleries clean and hence better cooling....if you have an oil weep mend it and coat both sides of the gasket with goo.

the price is up to you ...sorry !

there is a lad in norwich that has a 1980 soft top re-built engine, leaf springs N/A nice chassis ...also a capstan winch...painted grey with khaki canvas tilt......its not worth that much but it is pretty as a picture and i would pay well over the top to make it mine......

let us know what you deciede and how much you pay...

i payed a £1000 too much for mine....but that is what i wanted...and i have never regretted it..........

If you really want it get it and pay what they want if you think it is reasonable. I have learnt if you spend too much time thinking about a unique purchase, by the time you decide you really want it someone else has been there and got it. Not often regretted buying something. Regretted many times not buying something when I had the chance.

1989 onwards for Defenders, before that they were 90 and 110 respectively I think.

Somewhere around £3k depending on condition. Countryman has highlighted the bits to look for. Is it the 2.5 petrol engine?

Would check the LPG conversion, most were ok but some were botched.

My Defender looks like a shed from outside but runs like a dream and is solid all round. You will always smile when driving it :-)