top Leaver Position

ChrisAsh

Is there any way to rectify this?

It can always be rectified but some guns are easier and less costly to sort out. If you buy a well used budget gun for £300 it isn't economic sense to have a £250 gunsmithing bill to strip down and replace or rebuild the locking bolt because it will still be worth £300 afterwards.

Do you have a particular gun in mind?

It can always be rectified but some guns are easier and less costly to sort out. If you buy a well used budget gun for £300 it isn't economic sense to have a £250 gunsmithing bill to strip down and replace or rebuild the locking bolt because it will still be worth £300 afterwards.

Do you have a particular gun in mind?

I have an aya no2 which is a very tight gun but top lever is over to the left of centre , but the lever moves back to centre without moving the fixing screw as though there's play in between lever and shaft ?

A top lever should not go past centre when the barrels are off the gun . With the type of lever work in the AyA there are several points of wear all of which can be over come if you take it to someone who knows what they are doing . It is often possible to make a simple and lasting "repair" buy building up a bearing surface to take play away , without resorting to fitting new parts . Hitting it or punching up is not acceptable . Its not possible to make any real suggestions as to what or how without examination.

as long as the action remains tight I would leave well alone, as another poster has said, if its a low value gun and the action is on the verge of going loose may be better to sell it rather than throwing good money at it - especially if you use the services of a gunsmith who "knows how to charge."

A top lever should not go past centre when the barrels are off the gun . With the type of lever work in the AyA there are several points of wear all of which can be over come if you take it to someone who knows what they are doing . It is often possible to make a simple and lasting "repair" buy building up a bearing surface to take play away , without resorting to fitting new parts . Hitting it or punching up is not acceptable . Its not possible to make any real suggestions as to what or how without examination.

thanks for your advise gunman

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in South Yorkshire ?

I would not be too worried about a gun based solely on the position of the top lever. The top lever being towards the right of centre, really only applies to the Browning/Miroku range anyway. If you think a gun may be a bit loose, remove the forend, hold the gun by the grip with one hand and by the heel of the stock with the other, now give the gun a good shaking, both up and down and side to side. If you feel any 'rattle', then holding the stock under your arm move the barrels up and down and side to side. You should be able to feel any looseness. If the gun was tight (no looseness) do not worry about top lever position, just shoot it. My side by side game gun has a tiny bit of rattle, but due to it's age and MY age, plus the limited amount of shooting the gun now does, I do not plan to get it fixed. I will just shoot it. The only thing to watch for in the Browning/Miroku range is the top lever spring. If it becomes weak, the top lever bounces open after the first shot, this then blocks the trigger and stops the second shot, but it is easily fixed.