Best way to extend the lop of a gun.

chacotawas

Yet another request for information. Have just bought a gun from the highly-praised and much-recommended Mr. wabbitbosher of this forum. I'm delighted with it (probably needless to say) but it's about an inch short in the lop (no fault of the seller). Can anybody recommend the best way to remedy this? Where to buy stuff for the purpose would be very helpful too. Assistance, as ever, gratefully received.

Thank you for your helpful and prompt replies.It's a Beretta A302 semi-auto. It's looking like a butt pad, probably rubber, to replace the plate that's currently there. Are there differing qualities of these; is there an online brand/seller you'd recommend? I have been looking online.

Attached is a pic of a Kickeez and spacers (ignore recoil system) that added approx an inch to the gun once the original pad was taken off. To give you an idea. This was done on a Zoli I used to own to add LOP.post-13460-0-91351400-1406354755_thumb.jpg

I used more spacers and thinner pad to keep the weight down at the stock as the recoil system was heavy enough. But the opposite could be done - thicker pad and spacers if required.

without spending too much you could purchase a leather stock slip on that should give an inch on lop. if thats not enough or the butt is irregular in shape try adding extra 2 or 3 mil layers by cutting up an old mouse pad until the lop and hopefully the sighting is correct. then you can decide the way forward

Edited by joecash

How have you established the LOP dimension requirement?

I seem to remember reading that when mounted to the face, there should be 2-3finger withs distance between nose and grip thumb.

If that is the distance you want to adjust then by changing the stock length with 1" the thumb distanche will change by 4"

Aparently there is a 1/4ratio between the 2 dimensions.

That is what I read...

@Welshwarrior: you do gunfitting as I understand. Is the above correct?

Please, do try to establish EXACTLY how much you need to extend the stock. Try to borrow a 'slip on' rubber or leather recoil pad, these tend to be around 3/4" thick. Now try the gun for length, you can add further length by adding firm packing inside the slip on pad. PLEASE do not be tempted to put the stock in the crook of your elbow and see if you can reach the trigger, this merely measures your forearm and not the stock fit. Search the net for stock fit I am sure you will find something. Once decided that the stock feels correct, then measure the pull from trigger to centre of heel. Do not forget as your face travels further back along the stock, it may require lifting so that your eye can see along the rib. I have just bought a mint condition 303 and that has adjustable stock shims, I feel certain the 301 is the same. The standard length of pull was 14 1/2". Now you can make a more permanent job with wood, plastic or rubber pad.

Edited by Westley

Bought one of these last week to extend the LOP on my Sako's Mcmillan stock..... and it fits! Result......I didn't think it would fit over the existing pad.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILICONE-SOFT-UNIVERSAL-FIT-GUN-BUTT-EXTENSION-RECOIL-FOR-SHOTGUN-PAD-SHOULDER-/331248746928?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item4d1ff6c1b0

Decent quality rubber too.

Cheers

Fizz