eye dominance

andrew f

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked my instructor about them and was advised not to get one as once you get used to shooting you look at the target not the end of the gun.

I have left eye dominance. Initially I just used to put vaseline on the left lens of my shooting glasses. Now they are blacked out with masking tape. Don't look at the end of the gun now.

I am right eye dominant and shoot right handed but if I was left eye dominant i would think closing the left eye, or blacked out glasses (as suggested above) would be the easiest and simplest way.

I am however certain that left eye dominance cannot be corrected by itself, or made allowance for, it needs a 'constructed' solution such as those mentioned. I have never used one of the 'never miss' sights because most who use them (no dominance question involved) seem to shoot less well than I do (I am a fair shot, not exceptional). Since 'across-eyed' stocks are cumbersome, rare and expensive, closing (or obscuring) the left eye seems most sensible.

Others will recommend different methods, no doubt.

Nephew was told he is left eye dominant though right handed. He was told by every coach he had tuition from (mostly BASC coaches on YSD's to pick up the bird with both eyes open but to shut his left eye on mounting. He is a good shot. Apparently eye dominance can change over time. If you add something intended to attract the attention of your eyes to the end of your gun, then your attention isn't focused on the target, where it should be. They may work, but I don't see how personally. Has your coach advised you to get one?

Nephew was told he is left eye dominant though right handed. He was told by every coach he had tuition from (mostly BASC coaches on YSD's to pick up the bird with both eyes open but to shut his left eye on mounting. He is a good shot. Apparently eye dominance can change over time. If you add something intended to attract the attention of your eyes to the end of your gun, then your attention isn't focused on the target, where it should be. They may work, but I don't see how personally. Has your coach advised you to get one?

This is what I do.

I'm left eye dominant so I switched to left hand shooting. I occasionally switch back to right hand shooting and shut my good eye but I still seem miss the same amount which ever way I shoot.

Me too its not that hard to swap just takes a bit of time and effort!

I have an eye dominance issue. I get over it by using a pair of shooting glasses and have a small amount of opaque tape (the size of your thumb nail) over the centre / top of my left hand lens.

I can see unimpeded through both eyes until I put my head down on the stock and at this point my left eye is taken out / distracted by the tape.

I tried blacking out the whole lens with electrical tape but this is very tiring on the eye and unnecessary. It also cuts down your field of vision.

Rich

Wasn't taught by a coach my dad told me the basics and let me loose on some pigeons when I was 14 was so I am basically self taught probably picked up some bad habit's. Its not like I cant hit a barn door I was just looking to improve :)

Wasn't taught by a coach my dad told me the basics and let me loose on some pigeons when I was 14 was so I am basically self taught probably picked up some bad habit's. Its not like I cant hit a barn door I was just looking to improve :)

Fair enough. If you've never had a coach how do you know you have a cross dominance problem? Could it just be a gun fit issue? A single lesson with a good coach wont cost you the earth and may help, even a short stint on a have ago stand at a game fair with a BASC coach.

I have benefitted from coaching lessons. Eye dominance was one of the first things that was checked and sorted for me.

Just go round looking like Long John Silver with the eye patch now.

Great back to that horrible eye patch from primary school it is then :(

Was told I was left eye dominant, ive just stuck a small bit of scotch tape on the inside of my glasses to cover the bead and a bit of the barrels so you dont loose all your peripheral vision.

I changed my glasses and messed up the tape bit last weekend. Couldn't work out why my scores dropped lower than normal. But I found out yesterday it was all wrong and my scores were back to normal

It is the consistent correct mounting of the gun that is critical. I am left dominant and have tried shooting left handed for a complete season on game. Didn't improve my shooting at all. I have always closed my left eye just before swinging through and it works for me. I also use a magic bead which I do not see when shooting which is as it is designed to be. If you consciously see the bead at anytime you are doing something wrong.

It is the consistent correct mounting of the gun that is critical. I am left dominant and have tried shooting left handed for a complete season on game. Didn't improve my shooting at all. I have always closed my left eye just before swinging through and it works for me. I also use a magic bead which I do not see when shooting which is as it is designed to be. If you consciously see the bead at anytime you are doing something wrong.

If you do not see the bead what is the point of having it I have a dominant left eye and I am right handed ,I cant shut my left eye and cant shoot left handed so I end up having to tilt my head over the stock to bring my left eye in line I end up with a thick lip and not much in the bag :sad1:

If you do not see the bead what is the point of having it I have a dominant left eye and I am right handed ,I cant shut my left eye and cant shoot left handed so I end up having to tilt my head over the stock to bring my left eye in line I end up with a thick lip and not much in the bag :sad1:

Hi TIDES EDGE. you do see it but only subconsciously. That's how the magic beads work. If you focus on it you are doing it wrong, perhaps why you are not getting much in the bag. Practice closing left eye if you possibly can.