.22lr worry

Rst1990

I've never had one ricochet back out of a rabbit :D

If you're not confident about the background then don't take the shot but a bouncing .22LR is a lot less dangerous than a bouncing .30 cal, for example. It's good you're thinking about these issues but at some stage you'll need to face those demons or you'll lose your entitlement

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you shoot a 22lr at a range you are comfortable with you should not be missing many shots.There is always the chance of a ricochet but do not be put off by talk of them doing it all the time.If they do it all the time it is not the gun or bullet at fault it is the fault of the person behind the gun.

Rst1990, on 26 Jul 2014 - 7:17 PM, said:

Been looking on various Internet forums including this site on information about the .22lr, and there is a lot of feed back on ricochet problems with the round, it's kind of putting me off getting one as I don't really want something that dangerous.

You aren't exactly talking of a 20 mm cannon here. I've used a 22rf out in the field and on the range for about 35 years and in all that time I've only ever had a couple of ricochets and that was when the ground was rock hard in the summer. IF and when a bullet ricochets it is tumbling and distorted by impact with an object of some kind and as such is loosing energy rapidly. The sound might be a bit of a wizz but the bullet is rapidly slowing. Much more so than a bullet in clean flight. If you worry about a 22rf then what about the shooters that use a 270 or 308. After all a bullet is a bullet

Although the feo has given me the nod, I'm still thinking that I may not pursue getting the above rifle.

I really enjoy going out with the rifle (fac air) at the moment and have a lot of fun targeting etc in the field but to have a rifle and worry about every shot before I pull the trigger it puts a damper on things :-(

Whether it's just me and I have looked into this abit far or perhaps some people may have exaggerated this issue I'm not shore.

Don't get me wrong I have had some ricochets with the fac air but have been in a controlled environment with the power turned down, it's just the thought of something spinning off for a mile out of control.

you still may not pursue getting one ??

may be me reading the above quote wrong but are you trying to say you don't trust yourself to take a safe shot or do you not trust your own judgement if so should you own any fac rifle,

not having a pop just reading between the lines

colin

you still may not pursue getting one ??

may be me reading the above quote wrong but are you trying to say you don't trust yourself to take a safe shot or do you not trust your own judgement if so should you own any fac rifle,

not having a pop just reading between the lines

colin

I can see how you read between the lines with that.

I trust myself 100%

I take safety very seriously with these tools, NOT saying no one else does but I take it to the next level lol

I have found it best to shoot off sticks rather than a bipod unless you have really hilly ground, avoid frozen or baked hard ground. If in doubt bang up a highseat, have shot loads of bunny's this way, they have no idea your there.

When a .22lr round penetrates straight through a rabbit does it still carry enough energy to travel a far distance?

Yep, but you should know that you never use quarry as a backstop.

This thread takes the biscuit.

Questioning the .22 rimfire, the most common and popular gun in the world.

if you take safety to the next level then don't bother owning a gun, or driving a car or climbing stairs for that matter.

Edited by wildrover77

This thread takes the biscuit.

Questioning the .22 rimfire, the most common and popular gun in the world.

if you take safety to the next level then don't bother owning a gun, or driving a car or climbing stairs for that matter.

Thanks for the input :-)

Moving from air/shotguns, I was very nervous taking my first shots with my new .22lr. Expecting them to be pinging off everywhere !

Never lose respect for it - but you do begin to realise that if you are sensible and only take safe shots with a proper backstop, all will be well.

Best to assume a worst case scenario for ricochet travel I think, since you plan for it not to happen. Their course after impact is definitely affected by shape (BC) after impact. The noise indicates a misshapen bullet and its actual trajectory after impact can be in almost any direction.

• 2 weeks later...

When a .22lr round penetrates straight through a rabbit does it still carry enough energy to travel a far distance?

As long as you are using expanding ammo that you should be for hunting the bullet will mushroom and all the energy left will be expended in most cases. I am sure once you get out with it assuming your good shot you will not see to much difference in a rabbit kill from your fac air rifle with subsonic ammo, a bit louder thud perhaps and extra back flip maybe.

As long as you are using expanding ammo that you should be for hunting the bullet will mushroom and all the energy left will be expended in most cases. I am sure once you get out with it assuming your good shot you will not see to much difference in a rabbit kill from your fac air rifle with subsonic ammo, a bit louder thud perhaps and extra back flip maybe.

I do not agree with that if it is as it reads "all the energy left will be expended in most cases", this is why we ***** backstop as good and backdrop area as clear (unseen things like stones can be in the backstop). I have read of a test carried out many years ago by an American gun journalist and once the .22 lr had struck the ground they got a maximum 400 yards from intentional ricochets. Expanding ammo will occasionally stay in quarry the size of Rabbits but its not common and there is no telling how much energy is taken out of the pill on its way through but I sure as heck wouldn't use a rabbit for cover. A .22 LR at 50 yards will go clean through a 3" thick cedar plank and then through 5/8" thick pine without even tumbling then dig itself a hole in the dirt ( I know this because I did a sand-less test on my home range) I am not sure who 100% but one of the moderator team did a test with some 40mm Kitchen work top and I seem to remember it was more a case of find the range the .22 wouldn't make a clean hole through.

Quarry isn't backstop!

.22 LR with subsonics kills very much better than a 30 ft lb .22 airgun and gives a wider choice of shot placement, it comes at a price though and that is greater awareness of safety. Once a 30 ft lb airgun pellet gets to 100 yards its only got about 15 ft lb (in reality its effectively no different than a std airgun once there and has a fall out zone about similar to a shotgun) contrast that with a .22 lr !

Edited by kent

Put my fac variation in to get a .22lr got the interview set for Monday.

Been looking on various Internet forums including this site on information about the .22lr, and there is a lot of feed back on ricochet problems with the round, it's kind of putting me off getting one as I don't really want something that dangerous.

Gets me thinking of how many .22 rimmies are out there and people using them as they seem to be very popular.

What are your thoughts on the said rifle?

Why do these posts keep going round?

How do you want to define dangerous?

The .22lr is still the most popular civil calibre in the world by a long way, and in our risk averse society, don't you think the government would have banned it if they deemed it Dangerous!

Your FEO/Region have granted you one, they don't consider it an unacceptable risk either!

If you do, don't buy one, nobody is twisting your arm!

:good:

Why do these posts keep going round?

How do you want to define dangerous?

The .22lr is still the most popular civil calibre in the world by a long way, and in our risk averse society, don't you think the government would have banned it if they deemed it Dangerous!

Your FEO/Region have granted you one, they don't consider it an unacceptable risk either!

If you do, don't buy one, nobody is twisting your arm!

:good:

Pardon me for suggesting that knowing the problems but managing them, makes you a better, i.e. more responsible shooter. Nobody is perhaps suggesting the humble .22 RF is redundant but that it CAN be dangerous if used thoughtlessly. Maybe you could agree with that?