.22lr worry

Rst1990

Pardon me for suggesting that knowing the problems but managing them, makes you a better, i.e. more responsible shooter. Nobody is perhaps suggesting the humble .22 RF is redundant but that it CAN be dangerous if used thoughtlessly. Maybe you could agree with that?

Well I do, I think the most dangerous aspect of the .22 lr is some see it as puny often tricked into it by the click of that subsonic bullet out of the moderator. Managed correctly its not nearly as dangerous as a little biddy car in the wrong hands

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardon me for suggesting that knowing the problems but managing them, makes you a better, i.e. more responsible shooter. Nobody is perhaps suggesting the humble .22 RF is redundant but that it CAN be dangerous if used thoughtlessly. Maybe you could agree with that?

Yep, I agree, just the same as any calibre/ammunition!

However many calibres and however many types of ammunition you find, one is always going to be worst for ricochet and one best, that doesn't mean the worst is dangerous and the rest aren't!

:good:

I do not agree with that if it is as it reads "all the energy left will be expended in most cases", this is why we ***** backstop as good and backdrop area as clear (unseen things like stones can be in the backstop). I have read of a test carried out many years ago by an American gun journalist and once the .22 lr had struck the ground they got a maximum 400 yards from intentional ricochets. Expanding ammo will occasionally stay in quarry the size of Rabbits but its not common and there is no telling how much energy is taken out of the pill on its way through but I sure as heck wouldn't use a rabbit for cover. A .22 LR at 50 yards will go clean through a 3" thick cedar plank and then through 5/8" thick pine without even tumbling then dig itself a hole in the dirt ( I know this because I did a sand-less test on my home range) I am not sure who 100% but one of the moderator team did a test with some 40mm Kitchen work top and I seem to remember it was more a case of find the range the .22 wouldn't make a clean hole through.Quarry isn't backstop!.22 LR with subsonics kills very much better than a 30 ft lb .22 airgun and gives a wider choice of shot placement, it comes at a price though and that is greater awareness of safety. Once a 30 ft lb airgun pellet gets to 100 yards its only got about 15 ft lb (in reality its effectively no different than a std airgun once there and has a fall out zone about similar to a shotgun) contrast that with a .22 lr !

Clearly you misunderstood, obviously quarry is not a back stop and never suggested it was!. I was nearly pointing out that if you hit quarry then most of the energy will be absorbed into it it's called knock down power. The backstop and ricochet risk your talking about is far more relevant when you miss.I have seen hundreds of rabbit kills on videos, out with people and myself and never once seen a clean kill with subsonic (that's all I use) ammo go straight through and ricochet at all let alone 400 yards!.

Any gun is dangerous in the wrong hands.

If you are responsible and ensure safe back stop for EVERY shot you take, you'll be fine.

Most things are dangerous, one bloke died a few years a go falling into a clothes horse and it crushed his neck until he died.

Just think before you take a shot and you'll be fine. Some people on this forum, such as Dekers take shots in places others wouldn't - but it's down to experience, risk assessment and careful judgement.

Any gun is dangerous in the wrong hands.

If you are responsible and ensure safe back stop for EVERY shot you take, you'll be fine.

Most things are dangerous, one bloke died a few years a go falling into a clothes horse and it crushed his neck until he died.

Just think before you take a shot and you'll be fine. Some people on this forum, such as Dekers take shots in places others wouldn't - but it's down to experience, risk assessment and careful judgement.

Those things need licencing! I keep telling the wife that and it don't go down too good

Getting back to the original question, at some point you are going to have to **** or get off the pot. Either man up and fire the .22LR, after assessing safety considerations (backstop, room to richochet etc.) or take up a different hobby.

I've man'd up so you say and bought and fired the .22lr lol but don't feel anymore manly???