Tape on shotgun barrel? Commonwealth games

Cawdor118

Hi lads / lady's, I have been watching the commonwealth games and wondering why some of the shooters seem to have white electrical tape over the end of the guns barrel? Is it to stop mirage? One guy seemed to have an extension to the barrel so he could place it on the ground to stop it marking the muzzle.

It was most obvious on the skeet shooting.

Cheers

M allen had the weird half choke extension and one of the cypriots (gold) had same tape but no extension. BEst 2 i have heard are extra weight and covering porting in the barrels (porting is at about the point the tape was) oddly both were using beretta?

No tape here.

malcolm_allen.jpg

or here:

20100514_SK125.jpg

Edited by HDAV

I don't know but is it some kind of anti muzzle flip thingy to keep the line for the second shot? Sten guns used a spoon thingy at one time to stop muzzle flip. The blast from the muzzle is shielded at the bottom so the pressure going up keeps the barrel from rising. >> Possibly.

Edited by fortune

I wondered this about the tape, only thing i can think of is a gun hold reference point or to mark the clay out of the trap house before mounting.

Don't think it's to cover ported barrels at that level of comp you could have what barrels you want.

Figgy

That's what I thought cookoff13, to mark the clay give contrast as it leaves the trap house, they would see the clay over the white tape,then mount and shoot.

We should ask the bbc why :lol: they would should know covering the event,but would probably say so wild animals can see the gun better and stay away.

Figgy

It's for the coach, not the shooter. When you're looking over the shoulder you can get a good idea of what the barrels are doing as the gun is being mounted on to the line of the bird and then as the body turns. I've only seen it used on my discipline, Olympic Skeet.

It should not 'bob', only up and then left or right