Brattonsound safe trouble. Again..

Gimlet

The lock on my Brattonsound cabinet has refused to open. Perfectly ok when I last locked it. Tried to open it last night and the key will turn 1/8 turn and then rock solid. Nothing. Like I'd got the wrong key. Spent half the afternoon on shooting forums searching for tips. I've tried everything possible and absolutely will not budge. I reckon one or more of the wards has sheared and it cannot be unlocked without drilling. My searches showed this was a common problem with Brattonsounds a few years ago. I'm not best pleased to say the least. That means a locksmith and a new lock so unless Brattonsound supply at least one of those it will mean a new cabinet, and it won't be a Brattonsound. The lock was replaced once a couple of years ago when it became very difficult to open. They were very helpful then. Now the cabinet is out of warranty, I can't get at my guns and I can't get hold of Brattonsound till Monday.

Not impressed at all. Unless they can do something very special the chances of me ever buying another Brattonsound cabinet are absolutely nil.

Nothing trapped in the door unfortunately. The usual free-play is still there. The key goes into the lock fine and starts to turn then stops solid after an 1/8 of a turn. Interestingly it can also be turned anticlockwise by the same amount. I can't remember whether that is normal or not. If it isn't it would suggest something let go in the lock mechanism when I last locked it.

And thanks for Evo, I think I might PM Parapilot and see what he thinks. Though I'll have to get on to Brattonsound to get a new lock at the very least.

I've always had doubts about the design of this system. It seems to me that using the key alone to slide those five heavy bolts and move all the linkage is putting a lot of pressure on small components. Surely its better to have a handle to do the heavy lifting.

Personally, I can't understand why people rave about Brattonsound so much. I've got exactly the same cabinet as the OP and the top lock is a bit temperamental. After nearly getting the key stuck one day I always make sure it is properly engaged before I start to turn it.

For the record I've also got a 'Gunmate' cabinet which is infinitely better quality. The locks feel positive not loose (with freeplay), the door doesn't rattle and the metal is a heavier gauge.

Gimlet - hope you get it sorted :yes:

I had the same problem. Eventually found it was due to the frame having become distorted. I tried putting pressure around the door and frame with

my hand, and slacked off a holding bolt one eight of a turn.

Worth a try

My mate had the same problem with his Bruattonsound safe but as it was only about 2 years old he gave them all call. They told him that thay had received a faulty Bach of locks and they were a were that some we're going wrong. They took all his details and said they would send a lock smith out to him to fix it foc.

1 week later the lock smith turns up and tells my mate he has come to open his safe and fit the new locks that Bruattonsound had sent him. The problem was that Bruattonsound had not sent any new locks out and my mate thought the lock smith would be bringing him with them (wrong) My mate said he didn't want the safe to be opened with out the new locks as he would not be able to lock back up with his guns in it so off goes the lock smith. 2 weeks go buy and new locks arive through snail mail so back out comes the locks smith. The lock smith tells my mate that he need to drill a hole in the safe door into the lock so my mate says ok! Carry on why I go make you a cup of tea by the time my mate comes back the the tea the safe door is open and he is fitting the new locks... Job done he says so my mate says to him what about the hole left in my door and the locks smith reply was that's not my job mate I'm just here to open the safe and fit the new locks you need to Speek to Bruattonsound about that.

The next day my mate gives them a call and they say to him who gave the lock smith permission to drill a hole in the safe and my mate says he did so there reply was that's your falt then nothing to do with them but as a good will jester they would send him a free sticker to stick over the hole. Lol

I had trouble one day not able to turn the key in mine. I had the sling trapped in the door - firm pressure as I turned the key sorted it.

+1

Mine has trouble if anything inside puts even the smallest amount of pressure back on the inside of the door. It feels as if the whole lock is jammed. I have one particular leather sling that falls against the door as I close it and is quite stiff. This is enough to cause problems. If it locks then it is a nuisance to unlock - the key jams partially turned. As Apache says firm pressure on the face of the door enables the key to turn.

Problem solved! Thanks to new member Peekay6 who provided the magic formula. :thanks:

There was no distortion, nothing trapped in the door. Brattonsound told me to insert a lever under the door and lift while applying extra pressure to the key as I turned it and to hammer the leading edge of the door where the bolts are with a rubber mallet. Didn't make the slightest difference except that it almost sheered the shaft of the key. Then Peekay6 came to the rescue. The lock had sprung back half a turn. The solution was to file down the wider throw of the key so it could be inserted the wrong way round. Turning back the lock half a turn with the key reversed brought the lock back into sync and the spare key could be inserted the correct way round and the lock operated as normal.

Peekay6 has probably saved me £50 odd for a locksmith.Top man.

Brattonsound will send me a new lock and keys free of charge which is fair enough. But this will be the third lock in four years. The next time I move my cabinet a Sentry combination safe will be going in.

Edited by Gimlet