Wildfowling cartridges for the new seaon

Beretta28g

What cartridges are people getting for the new season?

Is there any particularly good ones I should be looking for?

I used to use Gamebore 3'' 36g 1s 32g 4s and 3.5'' 42g 1s

But im completely out of all 12g steel but have plenty of Bismuth for my 8 bore.

Whats hot and easily available for 12 bores at present?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This season I've bought Eley Lightning 3" 36g 3 shot & 1shot. Still have some Gamebore Mammoth 31/2" BB 1 & 3. And Mammoth 3" 1 & 3,some Gamebore Super Steel 32g 3 for duck and even some express that shot quite well last season over splashes in 32g 4.

No where local had a choice in Gamebore this season when I went for carts only one shop had some 31/2" mammoth 42g 3 shot. No thanks still got some.

Did try a few Lightening steel on some clays and they seem spot on, good breaks plenty of dust at plus forty yards and fast as my clay carts so I'm a happy bunny.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Loading your own is the way forward.

46g BB's is that a new load as I could only ever get 42g 31/2" carts from Gamebore must check the boxes I have.

This season I've bought Eley Lightning 3" 36g 3 shot & 1shot. Still have some Gamebore Mammoth 31/2" BB 1 & 3. And Mammoth 3" 1 & 3,some Gamebore Super Steel 32g 3 for duck and even some express that shot quite well last season over splashes in 32g 4.

No where local had a choice in Gamebore this season when I went for carts only one shop had some 31/2" mammoth 42g 3 shot. No thanks still got some.

Did try a few Lightening steel on some clays and they seem spot on, good breaks plenty of dust at plus forty yards and fast as my clay carts so I'm a happy bunny.

Figgy

How do you know this?

One of these days I will be able to get hold of Eley Lightning , but as yet none of the gunshops I have visited over the last 2 seasons in Norfolk can get hold of it. I went into one shop yesterday who had 60,000 Eley cartridges on order , but just 12,000 arrived on the order and yet again no lightnings.

3 inch Gamebore Mammoths in 3s are a good standard duck load . I do sometimes use RC or Gamebore 32g 3s steel over flashes , but their performance is poor compared with th 3 inch mammoths. For flighting high mallard 3.5 inch 2s Remmies are great but getting like gold dust these days.

For geese 3.5 inch BB or if I can find any BBB remmingtons are a very good steel load provided you use a fulll afterchoke.

Edited by anser2

42 BB Gamebores 3.5 for the geese

I still have plenty of 4s for the ducks but think I will follow Silver Pigeon and get some 3s

Switched to 4's last season over the splashes and had really good results, especially when teal and wigeon were the target. The 3's are my normal duck load for everything else.

Hope things are good with you mate.

One of these days I will be able to get hold of Eley Lightning , but as yet none of the gunshops I have visited over the last 2 seasons in Norfolk can get hold of it. I went into one shop yesterday who had 60,000 Eley cartridges on order , but just 12,000 arrived on the order and yet again no lightnings.

3 inch Gamebore Mammoths in 3s are a good standard duck load . I do sometimes use RC or Gamebore 32g 3s steel over flashes , but their performance is poor compared with th 3 inch mammoths. For flighting high mallard 3.5 inch 2s Remmies are great but getting like gold dust these days.

For geese 3.5 inch BB or if I can find any BBB remmingtons are a very good steel load provided you use a fulll afterchoke.

Probably a little far for you, but Whaplode guns and tackle had some in stock last time i was there. I intend on going there next week to see if they have some. Can grab you some if they have some and keep at mine ( just outside Kings Lynn ) if it helps.

I love the 3 inch mammoths in 5's for decoyed ducks and splash shooting 3's for flighted ones and Remmington nitros for the geese

How do you find the 5's on larger duck like mallard? As I said in my last post switched to 4's for splashes last year and noticed no issue, found them to be great and better than the 3's I was using previously. Killed some really good birds that skirted the decoys with them.

Probably a little far for you, but Whaplode guns and tackle had some in stock last time i was there. I intend on going there next week to see if they have some. Can grab you some if they have some and keep at mine ( just outside Kings Lynn ) if it helps.

I was in there last week and he had no lightnings or mamouths.

How do you find the 5's on larger duck like mallard? As I said in my last post switched to 4's for splashes last year and noticed no issue, found them to be great and better than the 3's I was using previously. Killed some really good birds that skirted the decoys with them.

found no problems at all with the 5's think you get a good dense pattern with them Obviously just kept the ranges sensible Edited by Tony G

Loading your own is the way forward.How do you know this?

By shooting at the same targets as I do with clay carts and not giving any more froward allowance or having to give less lead. They shoot the same as my clay carts so speed must be about the same down range so I'm happy that if I miss its me not a slow or fast cart missing in front or behind.

Also the manufacturers published velocity is now lower than previously stated, around the same as the sporting clay carts.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

By shooting at the same targets as I do with clay carts and not giving any more froward allowance or having to give less lead. They shoot the same as my clay carts so speed must be about the same down range so I'm happy that if I miss its me not a slow or fast cart missing in front or behind.

Also the manufacturers published velocity is now lower than previously stated, around the same as the sporting clay carts.

Figgy

The amount of forward allowance required for a target at 40 yards is pretty much the same, regardless of whether the charge has a muzzle velocity of 1400 or 1600 fps.

I still have plenty left over from the 50 or so I bought last season, all 3.5" Gamebore mammoth in 1's & 3's.

I got on well with them, patterned well on the pattern plates, but I only fired 7 rounds on live targets.

Anybody tried the Winchester Blindside ammo with the polygonal shot at all.....seems to be popular with the yanks, and a sound concept, I d be interested to hear from anyone who has used them.

ATB.