Wildfowling cartridges for the new seaon

Beretta28g

One of my favourites is the 3" Gamebore no.3 36grm Mammoth steel, the best I have tried for longer range duck and well within sensible range goose shell is the Remington Nitro 3" no2 steel shell. I am no longer a big 3 1/2" 12 ga shell fan, there is very little gain in them until you get into BB and possibly BBB were the higher pellet counts start to matter at slightly more extended ranges.

Very tempted to produce my own fast 3" no2 load using the fantastic SAM1 wad and Aliant Steel powder combo this coming season. Then just shoot a factory 3 and 4 various over splashes when ranges are short, once my stocks are down on those i will likely load something for that purpose myself also. I still have a stock of 3 1/2" Gamebore no1 and the jury is out on if i buy or make any more super magnums again, if i feel i need some extra range the ten is a way better tool than the oversize 12 shell.

Be careful with the Blindside i feel it is likely a gimmick and one that has according to my dealer has already bulged a few of his clients guns fitted with retro chokes and wad strippers

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have plenty left over from the 50 or so I bought last season, all 3.5" Gamebore mammoth in 1's & 3's.

I got on well with them, patterned well on the pattern plates, but I only fired 7 rounds on live targets.

Anybody tried the Winchester Blindside ammo with the polygonal shot at all.....seems to be popular with the yanks, and a sound concept, I d be interested to hear from anyone who has used them.

ATB.

Have a look online, seen some reveiws on them in the states. Most were not very good, good close range but patterns scatter more at any distance. A young lad put loads of different shells through his gun and compared them all, iirc the Kent fast steel makes the best bang for buck and the Winchester Drylock. Federal cloud was another top price one but only really works through its own choke.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Be careful with the Blindside i feel it is likely a gimmick and one that has according to my dealer has already bulged a few of his clients guns fitted with retro chokes and wad strippers

Cheers for the heads up, the Gamebore stuff has ticked all the right boxes for me already, so guess I'll stick to the ' don't fix it if it ain't broke' philosophy.

Have a look online, seen some reveiws on them in the states. Most were not very good, good close range but patterns scatter more at any distance. A young lad put loads of different shells through his gun and compared them all, iirc the Kent fast steel makes the best bang for buck and the Winchester Drylock. Federal cloud was another top price one but only really works through its own choke.

Figgy

Cheers for the info Figgy, as above, I am going to stick with what works so far. I have had some good birds, both inland geese and ducks with solway steel 3" shells a couple of years back, but the mammoths just gave me better patterns on the plate.

True, TM and hevi shot are now costly but they are far more effective and ballistically efficient than steel.

Cost for me is not a problem given the relatively small number of shots I fire each season, availability is more of an issue now in y part of the world.

True, TM and hevi shot are now costly but they are far more effective and ballistically efficient than steel.

Cost for me is not a problem given the relatively small number of shots I fire each season, availability is more of an issue now in y part of the world.

How much further than 60yrds can hevi shot add to effective range.

60yrds is my maximum and I would never shoot at anything further, but I know people that can quiet successfully too. Just interested to know what ranges the op reckons the ballistically more efficiant materials mentioned can improve on steel loads.

How much further than 60yrds can hevi shot add to effective range.

Am not sure what you are driving at I personally wqould not fire at anything at 60 yards with any sort of 12 bore, I see hevi shot and tm as having a bit more power at normal ranges than steel. Plus TM allows me to use older guns.

The heavy shot allows a smaller cartridge and pellet to perform as a 31/2" large pellet cart would but with possibly better penetration.

I looked at them in Bradford Stalker last season but the price put me off, because if it was in the gun for geese and a duck came near I'd just pull the trigger then think damn that was expensive and get through more than I wanted to.

Figgy

Am not sure what you are driving at I personally wqould not fire at anything at 60 yards with any sort of 12 bore, I see hevi shot and tm as having a bit more power at normal ranges than steel. Plus TM allows me to use older guns.

Just interested that you stated that your choice of materials was more effective than steel that's all fella, how more effective is it.

due to the cost i cant warrent buying these to use all of the time i wish i could.

I am sure that all of us given no cost constraint would look at using the likes of Hevishot/ITM etc. But given the cost issue most of us just get on and use steel as it is the only real alternative. Personally i am very happy with the Gamebore steel that i use and have 100% confidence in it.

I am sure that all of us given no cost constraint would look at using the likes of Hevishot/ITM etc. But given the cost issue most of us just get on and use steel as it is the only real alternative. Personally i am very happy with the Gamebore steel that i use and have 100% confidence in it.

couldnt agree more, id love to use hevishot but have to be realistic... i use gamebore and am very happy with it

Fiocchi carts are a good sound case I had some of there heavier cases last season and they patterned really well.

But I dont need to use steel as I will be flighting ducks over the barley and wheat stubbles when there coming of the shore so I can still use lead couple of boxes of eley alfamax and im sorted

What I like about steel shot is that it won't take long to rust away to nothing.

Just need bio plaswads to make them more Eco friendly.

Wonder what happens to the heavy shot and itm stuff as it sits in the wetlands.

Figgy

Tungsten and other such metals are as bad or worse than lead in toxic effect I believe

Fiocchi carts are a good sound case I had some of there heavier cases last season and they patterned really well.

But I dont need to use steel as I will be flighting ducks over the barley and wheat stubbles when there coming of the shore so I can still use lead couple of boxes of eley alfamax and im sorted

Didn't realise you can still use lead in Ireland,....... wish I could............ Alfamax brought back some good memories , although we only used them on special occasions as they were a bit pricey at the time, for general fowling we used the next one down which was Hymax, another good cartridge. Looking at the cost of Hevi shot , we could have bought a box of Alfamax for the same price as one single cartridge would cost today. I cant say how good Hevi shot is as I have only got one and I am to tight to use it. By the way can you still shoot Curlew in Ireland ? , if you can , do you ?...........Good luck for the new season......

Didn't realise you can still use lead in Ireland,....... wish I could............ Alfamax brought back some good memories , although we only used them on special occasions as they were a bit pricey at the time, for general fowling we used the next one down which was Hymax, another good cartridge. Looking at the cost of Hevi shot , we could have bought a box of Alfamax for the same price as one single cartridge would cost today. I cant say how good Hevi shot is as I have only got one and I am to tight to use it. By the way can you still shoot Curlew in Ireland ? , if you can , do you ?...........Good luck for the new season......

Yeah marshman we can still use lead as long as you are not shooting over a wetlands if you are you have to shoot non toxic loads, and the laws have changed for some reason they took curlew off the list when there is loads of them a about.

I picked up a box of 2 3/4" ounce and a quater 2 Remington nitrosteel yesterday, never seen them before so shall give them a try in the season.

How much where they if you dont mind me asking

Yeah marshman we can still use lead as long as you are not shooting over a wetlands if you are you have to shoot non toxic loads, and the laws have changed for some reason they took curlew off the list when there is loads of them a about.

How much where they if you dont mind me asking

£10 for 25