Wildfowling cartridges for the new seaon

Beretta28g

I picked up a box of 2 3/4" ounce and a quater 2 Remington nitrosteel yesterday, never seen them before so shall give them a try in the season.

I know you will like them- a cracking shell, no question at all :good: Just too dear I will be trying to duplicate the performance in a Homey soon

£10 for 25

Gosh that's half what I paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a box of 2 3/4" ounce and a quater 2 Remington nitrosteel yesterday, never seen them before so shall give them a try in the season.

Hi Matt,I found some of those 2 3/4 inch nitro steels at the shooting show in February Got some myself,if they are as good as the bigger ones I will be happy Sensible price too !

I've said it before, but homeloading really is the way forward. I can make virtually any load in steel that I could possibly think of and in any shot size available. These shells should also outperform factory.

Anyone wanting to use hevi shot should consider home loads. I knock up a few now and again. I have had some loose shot for a few seasons, it lasts if you don't use it all the time.

Matt, did you get them from a gunshop in a village full of duck ponds ? They had several slabs of Nitro steel a few weeks ago all at half price to get rid of old stock. I blew over a hundred quid on a load of 200 3" and 50 2/3" Nitro steel no 2s all at £10 a box and the last 100 Remmington Sportsman 2 3/4 4s at £ 7.50 a box so along with a couple of hundred Gamebore mammoths and I got in the Broads they will keep me going for most of the season for duck but need to source some BBBs from somewhere for the geese as I am down to my last 2 boxes of 3.5" Winchesters.

Edited by anser2

Rob I will PM you details of a Gamebore supplier who can provide Mammoth 3.5" at a decent price if you still need them.

For me I will be using Eley VIP 32gm 4s for most of my duck; and a combination of Gamebore 36gm 3s, 1s and 42 gm 1s for my geese. I was shooting the 3.5" 42gm BBs last year but I am going to just use 1s this year as I think they are enough for me. I would imagine a steel 1 is sufficient to kill geese upto 50 yards which is plenty for me, so would rather have a better pattern than more killing power.

I will say my geese kill ratio with steel has improved with the new Beretta Extreme I have as it seems to pattern the steel better than my old Beretta AL 391 which had shorter choke tubes. From what the American's say I think if I was shooting high geese regularly I would buy some after market chokes. I know Anser 2 swears by his for geese and big steel pellets.

I will emphasize I shoot most duck around 30 yards and the steel VIP 4s are fine to 35 yards but if I was going to shoot higher flighting mallard I would use the Gamebore 36 gm in 3s. I wouldn't use these all the time, especially on splash shooting as we found the birds take too many pellet hits. Makes me wonder why Gamebore do the 42gm in a 4 shot?

Rich

Matt, did you get them from a gunshop in a village full of duck ponds ? They had several slabs of Nitro steel a few weeks ago all at half price to get rid of old stock. I blew over a hundred quid on a load of 200 3" and 50 2/3" Nitro steel no 2s all at £10 a box and the last 100 Remmington Sportsman 2 3/4 4s at £ 7.50 a box so along with a couple of hundred Gamebore mammoths and I got in the Broads they will keep me going for most of the season for duck but need to source some BBBs from somewhere for the geese as I am down to my last 2 boxes of 3.5" Winchesters.

Might have been :whistling: No wonder they did not have much non toxic in!

Good luck trying to find the BBBs, i load my own now!

it very hard stuff, i'd be erring on the side of caution with that gun of yours and stick to the soft stuff!

Thanks for the advice Matt I've taken it onboard

Got some tin and bismuth as well

Anyway it's just flown through proof after 120 years so I'm sure it'll be fine

If I'm lucky enough to get the opertunity to fire it

Just out of interest took it clay shooting yesterday and it seemed to work ok 38/50

All the best

Of