Quick Legal Question

110csw

I'm off out on a bimble round my permission with my dogs and guaranteed if I leave the rife I'm going to see enough bucks to feed me for a year. There's a 2.4 mile track that runs in a loop through it but it doesn't quite join up at the start/stop and will involve me walking on the roadside for 300m.

I'm proper out in the sticks and the majority of folk shoot (or at least won't be calling for armed cops to take out the camoed up gunman). Obviously if I'm on the road I'd be unloaded and bolt out.

Cheers,

Paddy

If you are asking is it legal to carry your gun on a public highway , then yes it is if you put it in a slip unloaded .

Harnser

If you are asking is it legal to carry your gun on a public highway , then yes it is if you put it in a slip unloaded .

Harnser

How much does a slip weigh? 1kg !! A roll up slip far less....Far less than a roe buck!!

What I do at night is take the gun in the slip and when I am on my ground stuff it in the hedge....my paper work is in an inside pocket.....

You are coming back to your start point at some time!!

I have to cross quite a few roads on some blocks so I just pick a crossing point leave the slip come back shove the gun in the slip cross the road and get on with my shooting....

Simple............

TEH

lol yes the question was can I have the rifle on my back but not in a slip on the public highway (which Borders my permission anyway).

I ended up figuring it out for my own anyway about dumping my slip at the finish point.

Cheers

Back in the sixties I used to carry my .22rf on my back and shot gun in hand everywhere I went, I don`t think I owned a slip.

I too live in the sticks but these days there are so many tourists and off comers about I don`t think I`d like to try it today.

A highway is a public place so if you are likely to be seen - I would advise using a slip. That having been said, I always walked across a little used country lane with my gun open but bolt and bullets removed.

If you get the wrong policeperson they could get very stroppy if you dont take reasonable precautions but my feo said its ok if you are taking the shortest route from one bit of land to the next. I would never carry a loaded rifle on the Highway as it seems to push the legality to the very edge - hence the 'unload - remove bolt',

I always carry my rifle on a public road going from field to field never in a slip and never unloaded. I have been reported and stopped from time to time but as Im not breaking the law the police just go on there way.

I drop the mag out and leave the bolt open just in case something goes wrong no need for a slip

If you have a firearm and ammunition in a public place the law takes no account of whether the gun is loaded or not. There is no need to take the bolt out, although I would unload unless a brief crossing.

19 Carrying firearm in a public place.

A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

©any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/19

I always carry my rifle on a public road going from field to field never in a slip and never unloaded. I have been reported and stopped from time to time but as Im not breaking the law the police just go on there way.

I learn something everyday. I always believed that IT IS an offence to carry a weapon in a public place unless it is cased ( in a slip)

I learn something everyday. I always believed that IT IS an offence to carry a weapon in a public place unless it is cased ( in a slip)

The legislation says it is, cased or not doesnt matter and is not mentioned, but with a lawful excuse you are OK. The proof of a lawful excuse lies with the person carrying the gun so, someone will make the judgement of whether your excuse is lawful. My FEO said it was Ok but it may be another officer. So prudence suggests remove the ammo ( whether loaded or not with ammo suitable for use etc) and either open or removed bolt and a very good explanation of why no slip - i.e. crossing a highway which bisects or cuts across the land on which you have lawful permission to shoot.

In the end its something perhaps to ask your FEO as all forces differ.

You however do have the protection of the Firearms Act (above) if you get an overzealous copper, again the excuse counts for everything.

Tell me though how many police you meet know about firearms law? I take the safe route because of this, maybe its overcautious but probably wise.

Edited by Kes

No difference to walking across a field so do you remove the mag and bolt then. Not a dig but some people are over cautious stick to the law and you will be fine.

I would like my rifle to stay in my gun cabinet not in a police station better safe than sorry that's all I have to say on this subject don't want to start a argument :)

Back in the sixties I used to carry my .22rf on my back and shot gun in hand everywhere I went, I don`t think I owned a slip.

I too live in the sticks but these days there are so many tourists and off comers about I don`t think I`d like to try it today.

Just noticed where you are based, lovely beach and great views. Had to get a fridge handle once ( long story) and a shop in Millom was the only place in a 100 mile radius that had one!