On this day 37 years ago.

On this day 37 years ago I shot my biggest ever bag of pigeons over a small wheat field near Lechlade that was so badly storm damaged it was completely laid and sprouting on the ear, being so wet, that the farmer just ploughed the whole field in !

Looking at the shooting year book from that year 4 of us, one in each corner shot 953 pigeons

I shot 267, and friends Dave Pearce and Dave Andrews 189, 137, and Pete Williams 360 ! in 71/2 hours between 9:15 and 4 :45.

We made two trips to Coles in Cirencester ( Now long closed ) for cartridges during that time also !!!!

I remember it like it was yesterday..and we took another 600 birds a week later. Pete was a brilliant shot with shotgun or rifle...could shoot the pants off anyone around at that time and was banned from most of the Regional clay shoots....even when he shot left handed he was better than most. Never bothered with clay shooting much though anyway as he always said it was a waste of a cartridge. He could teach Archie a thing or two about pigeon shooting !...emigrated to Australia in 85 to work on a sheep farm, did well and made a fortune. Now lives in NZ and spends most of his time fishing.

Dave Pearce was killed in a Car accident in 1997...and Dave Andrews could be anywhere so if you should read this Dave...get in touch.

I don't suppose we really touched the surface of the pigeons that were in the area at the time, possibly 15,000 plus. They were just preoccupied with this field for about 2 weeks and flighting in from every point on the compass.

I don't know why conditions were so right for them I've often wondered.

The game dealer who I can only remember was called Ernie ....crated them all up and took them in his land rover and trailer to Swindon and put them on a train to London that same day.

No Magnets or floaters...we didn't need them anyway....I used my Gramps wooden decoys and ancient foot operated pull chord flappers and my old AYA no 2 was not a good fit and the trigger guard kept slamming into my middle finger every shot so that it was so badly bruised I couldn't move my hand for 2 or three days.

Strange thing was when we returned to the field the third time three weeks hence...hardly a bird to be seen anywhere.

I've never worried too much about shooting big bags since then though although there's is plenty of opportunity in this area ... just happy to sit in the hide, suck on a Cuban ( cigar ) scour the area with the bins for birds ( feathered ) take nip from the hippy and watch the world go by. ( Perhaps let off the odd shot at an easy bird)

Photo ? sorry no photo...this was pre cell phone, pre digital and in an era when newspapers reported real news.

I can even remember bloody Barry Manilow was at no 1 with " Looks like we made it "............................the four of us certainly did.

My Girlfriend at that time, a stunningly attractive and extremely personable young Lady, had hit me with a bombshell a week or so earlier..." We are moving to Bahrain, dads got a pilots job with Gulf Air"... we waved good bye on a dark rain swept night, through a wet car window in Fairford. my tears mingling with the raindrops and I never saw her again...

Often wondered, as we all do..............

any pics of the ex ,if you have none of the pigeons

Correction it was 10 and a half hours... we packed up at 7:45 and my Uncle now 84 has just informed me Ernie Granger took the birds to a Barn in Highworth and then to the train at Swindon the day later. He also reminded me that in the adjacent field by the river Thames he and 5 others from Cirencester shot 1400 birds in one weekend... and he does have photos..

Granger didn't take any more pigeons for 6 months as he had trouble disposing of them to the hotels and restaurants in London.

As for the young lady she had a successful modelling career, including quite a lot of TV commercials, married a rich gentleman and now lives in Capetown

Dave no 2 did the cartridge run which is why he didn't shoot so many.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Very interesting write up Fisherman Mike , I have seen some huge amounts but nothing like 15,000 on one field, in the 70s we shot some big bags and we used to take them to Pettits of Reedham and like you say they had a job to move them on and we got a letter from them to say they couldn't take no more as we have filled all there fridges up. There are no doubt some very good shots on the forum now, but I have sat in the same hide with two different people who shot 25 birds straight , one was a very good clay shot but he didn't like competitive shooting and one year when they had the British open at Bidwells ground he had a round on the same event and his score would have been joint leader ,with less shooting pressure and no sign of battery operated gadgets they most proberly decoyed better then and when we ran out of cartridges it wasn't schoolboy error it was we didn't have enough money to buy any more, they say the good old days ........only in some respects.

Well the power of PW. never ceases to amaze me

I had a call earlier this evening from Pete in New Zealand the first contact with him for nearly 30 years

He got my phone number from my Mum of all places after reading this topic on PW. He remembered the small village we were brought up in all those years ago.

I stand corrected, it was I am told 953 pigeons in two days over the 27th and 28th and the Farmer had in fact dumped 40 tonnes of spoiled grain on the field because his driers had broke...

I just couldn't remember that,

Sorry I'm a bit emotional at the moment at reminiscing about a wonderful childhood in idyllic surroundings........I've been so very lucky.

As the Cherry on the cake he has invited me and the wife out to NZ next summer if we want to go for a two week vacation completely on him all we need do is cover the cost of the fares...seems he's Invested in wine production and done quite well

Considering he left school two years before me with nothing he's done very well by just grafting.

The down side is his health is poor and he suffers from COPD.... ( he always used to smoke un- tipped cigarettes and it wasn't unusual for him to get through 3 packets in a day.) so he cant travel great distances.

There's the chance of some goat shooting too as well as the fishing which is apparently spectacular.

I might just take him up on the offer...

450 birds in one day still isn't too bad though is it ?

You'd be daft not to take up the offer Mike.

I had a call earlier this evening from Pete in New Zealand the first contact with him for nearly 30 years

He got my phone number from my Mum of all places after reading this topic on PW. He remembered the small village we were brought up in all those years ago.

I stand corrected, it was I am told 953 pigeons in two days over the 27th and 28th and the Farmer had in fact dumped 40 tonnes of spoiled grain on the field because his driers had broke...

Sorry I'm a bit emotional at the moment at reminiscing about a wonderful childhood in idyllic surroundings........I've been so very lucky.

As the Cherry on the cake he has invited me and the wife out to NZ next summer if we want to go for a two week vacation completely on him all we need do is cover the cost of the fares...seems he's Invested in wine production and done quite well

Considering he left school two years before me with nothing he's done very well by just grafting.

The down side is his health is poor and he suffers from COPD.... ( he always used to smoke un- tipped cigarettes and it wasn't unusual for him to get through 3 packets in a day.) so he cant travel great distances.

There's the chance of some goat shooting too as well as the fishing which is apparently spectacular.

That was a mirror !

That is really great and a superb offer. i hope you take it up and go to New Zealand. Why didn't he post on here...? Would be nice to have his memories of the day as well.

Shame the old girlfriend is not also down under as well......

That is really great and a superb offer. i hope you take it up and go to New Zealand. Why didn't he post on here...? Would be nice to have his memories of the day as well.

Shame the old girlfriend is not also down under as well......

I must admit that crossed my mind..but he wont mind me saying although always a true reliable friend when he lived here he always kept himself to himself and didn't like to get involved in anything outside his norm.

I have been known as Fisherman Mike since my school days so he recognised me immediately and looked up my surname in the DE and there's only one family in our village with that name..so elementary Doctor Watson

I think I will try and persuade him to contribute from the antipodes but suspect I know that he wont really be interested he's not the sort ( he will agree with me on that I'm sure)

My uncle is going to try and find the photo of a pile of 1400 pigeons about 5ft high...They didn't gloat in those days and lay them out with their feathers brushed and ***** wiped. Just straight into a wet hessian sack. :lol:

Enjoying reading this and like the happy ending to boot :good:

Fished Lechlade last year when i was down that way visiting friends..lovely part of the country :yes:

Yes it certainly is..I've fished the virgin Thames between Lechlade and Cricklade not far from its source man and boy for nearly 50 years. The river has never stood still in that time and goes through cycles, some years its been big Roach, some years a Perch explosion, in recent years the Chub have come to the fore and when I was a teen quality dace and grayling were in abundance. Sadly the crayfish explosion of the last few years has somewhat thinned the fish stocks....but it will recover. I have also been lucky to fish many of the smaller tributaries of The Thames like the Churn, Ray, Coln, Leach and Windrush...before I shuffle of this mortal coil a day on the Coln with a dry gnat would be top of my bucket list. This is the Coln at Fairford. where I caught my first brown trout on a dry fly...hard to believe the IAT is held on the airbase just round the corner.

post-427-0-54188100-1406669554_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fisherman Mike

That was a Turkish bath you plonker!!!!

Are they Sangsters colours in the racing picture? Do you have a connection with racing?

No they are the colours of Khalid Abdulla and the horse is the indomitable Frankel.

I have a soft spot for the colours as I worked for a short time for the Late Jeremy Tree at Marlborough ( wanted to be a jockey but was too heavy ) and we had an almighty touch on Rainbow Quest when it won its maiden at Newmarket in 1983. It carried the same colours and myself and two brothers won enough to pay off my dads remaining mortgage (its the only time I ever saw him cry)...and I bought a spanking new 950 cc Fiesta popular plus :lol: which, believe it or not ,was quite a babe magnet in the sleepy Cotswold villages.