windy afternoon on rape stubble

yickdaz

set out at 11.30 today, had a few places to look at checked out some barley that we shot on 3 times in the last month nothing doing here. so on to some more barley we shot on a flightline last week heading to it nothing here either, then we decided they must all be on rape stubble somewhere so on to a few of those we suspected had been harvested, not a lot on the first field, but could see activity over another field about 500 yards away pulled over I got out and walked onto the field and a carpet of birds got up no need to go anywhere else with this lot I thought, we picked a spot which wasn,t ideal had a road to two sides and a canal on another so the wind would be in our faces at a slight angle but not full on, made for some very testing shooting, I used the 20g Mossberg pump hushpower for half the session just to get more practice with it and can say never shot it better,a lot of birds flighted around in the 4hrs we were there we watched birds pass wide of us across the middle of the field all session had we been able to get in the right position we would of doubled the bag but still a good session from 1.30pm to 5.30pm

picked 55 lost 6

post-21887-0-44509000-1406490569_thumb.jpg

Good stuff mate, all I use is my mossberg 20bore hushpower for everything, pigeons, rabbits, even took it on a few pheasant jam round days, best gun I've ever ever used! Use it more often mate there a brilliant bit of kit! What cartridges you use in it? Rape on my biggest permission is going to be cut tomorrow or Tuesday so end of the week could be good for ago, already pigeons dropping on but I'm not going to shoot them and not pick them up.

Edited by rich1985

You do seem to have some problem or other with a lot of your fields. Had it been straight forward you may have shot a lot more I suspect.

your right jdog, not on all the land we shoot I will say ,but quite a few that either have horses, houses, canal boats, footpaths, near them and the birds like to go on these fields so have to make the most of it

Good stuff mate, all I use is my mossberg 20bore hushpower for everything, pigeons, rabbits, even took it on a few pheasant jam round days, best gun I've ever ever used! Use it more often mate there a brilliant bit of kit! What cartridges you use in it? Rape on my biggest permission is going to be cut tomorrow or Tuesday so end of the week could be good for ago, already pigeons dropping on but I'm not going to shoot them and not pick them up.

I moved to another spot halfway through the session to flight a few but they were high and slide slipping on the wind and hushpowers are not great for adjusting your swing at the last second so I missed a fair few after nailing to nice ones in a row but over the decoys I was spot on with it

gamebore 30g 5s subsonics