686e used Vs. New Silver Pigeon

MJO

Would anybody be able to give their opinion on a used 686e Vs. a new Silver Pigeon. This is not the new 686e Evo with extended chokes, but the old 686e. The reason I ask is that I have read some commentary that the older Berettas are of a better build quality and I might be better with a 686e than a Silver Pigeon irrespective of new or used??

Well the 686E will be sporter where as the silver pig could be game or sporter. Not much in it to be fair. For me you might get better value on the older gun presumably it's cheaper.

I do agree older berettas are better, 6 years isn't that old though.

I chopped my silver pigeon in (3 years old which i had from new) for a new 692 , never had a single issue with sp lovely gun :)

Hi, I'm not sure but I think when people say the older Berettas where made better I am sure they are talking about pre 1990's I don't think the 686E wasn't about then. Incedently I have the 686e of about 6 years old and cant fault it at all. :good:

Thanks both - good to know that you are happy with the 686e - do you know if they are proofed for steel shot?

Fruity, what made you change? More clays, less game?

Thanks

I was near enough exactly the same as Fruity :good: . The SP is a fine gun for the money.

Thanks - I get the impression though that the 686e is a slightly better built gun? After all what made you change from an SP??... I have had the chance to shoot both, but the SP I used had shot a huge amount of rounds and felt a little loose compared to the less used 686. The 686 clearly had less recoil, which will not be a huge issue for me as I aim to shoot both clay and game.

TBH I'm finding it hard to see an advantage in either over the other.... :hmm:

Thanks - I get the impression though that the 686e is a slightly better built gun? After all what made you change from an SP??... I have had the chance to shoot both, but the SP I used had shot a huge amount of rounds and felt a little loose compared to the less used 686. The 686 clearly had less recoil, which will not be a huge issue for me as I aim to shoot both clay and game.

TBH I'm finding it hard to see an advantage in either over the other.... :hmm:

The only reason I chopped my SP in was because it was a game gun, I use a hammer s x s for game. I found I was using my SP for clays and although I was shooting well with it, I hankered after a true sporter. If you cant see an advantage either way then I think you need to look at cost and buy what is going to give you best value. Also consider which offers the best guarantee and for how long. :good:

Thanks both

Fruity, what made you change? More clays, less game?

Thanks

I fell in love with the 692 demo gun at coleys and decided to order one for a dedicated clay gun , so excited when It was finally delivered, sadly all went down hill from there lol should have kept the sp and spent the money on something else :)

The 1st version 686E came out in about 2001. It was assembled in the custom shop alongside the 682 Gold E and DT10 and was the entry level competition O/U with various trap versions and a skeet model as well the sporter. The one I had for 5 years was better fitted and finished than the comparable spec White Onyx but still carried the same heavier Mobil barrels with flush chokes in either 28 or 30". The current SP1 is assembled in the main factory, still has flush chokes and has Optima barrels up to the (recommended by everyone) length of 32". The new 686E EVO is the same gun but has different engraving and extended chokes. The very latest 2014 build SP1s have Optima HP barrels and chokes - not sure about the EVOs.

Those old hands who get all misty eyed about build quality of the older models are referring to guns made before 1990-ish when the internal parts were forgings and some needed hand fitting. Subsequently the internal parts are much more accurate investment castings which can be electronically tested for flaws and assembled by non gunsmith trained operatives. To the purist, this means lesser quality - although I've never had any type of part failure on any of the Berettas I've had.

In your position I would go with the SP1, probably in 32" and I would insist on a discount if it didn't have HP chokes. Not that there's anything wrong with the trusty old 686E, but the SP1 has better balance and handling.

I use my 686e special edition for everything, clays, pigeons, walked up, on beaters day and I love it, no problems at all, the wood isn't exactly glorious but not a dogs dinner either. The only thing I would do is remove the chunky white bead and replace with a less obtrusive small brass bead.

I think both the Browning and Pigs base guns are very overpriced with **** block engraving and only brought on reputation that may well be flawed with the time scales for repairs you hear about, plus wood on both is very hit and miss on figuring at the lower end