Had A Call Today

Had a call while I was at the stables this morning, it was DB my shooting buddy . He had only a half day today so did I want to go Shooting, silly question, we arranged for me to pick him up at 13.00, which I did . As it was late we decided to shoot the Rape stubble on two local farms although we know that they both had two hundred plus bags off them last week. We also decided the place the hide in the cool as we had cooked last weekend. We looked at the first farm and it had no birds flighting or on the stubble so we went to the second farm and we watched and picked up three flightlines bringing birds to the rape stubble fields. As we drove through the farm the farmer stopped us and told us that they had two hundred plus on Thursday last week and also came back and shot it Saturday. It was now 14.30 and we carried on to the field and set the hide up under an Oak tree , free standing just on the edge of the canopy so we could shoot high birds but be in the shade with a nice cool breeze blowing from the back of the hide. We set up with twelve thawed birds ,two on the magnet , two angels and eight on spikes. The birds were very wary and at one time we had eight angels out and no magnet and even twenty on spikes no magnet and no angels. We found the best set up was magnet far right , two angels far left and twenty stand ups in the centre and keep picking up shot birds at every ten downed . We packed up at 18.00 and picked up one hundred and forty eight birds and had stayed cool all day. Result.

002_zps20720551.jpg

Edited by pigeon controller

You should write a book on decoying PC the sales would go through the roof with novices buying it!

I have a question when was the last time you had a bad day??? I ask this because since ive been a member of PW for nearly a year now I havent seen one of your post that looks like a bad day

You should write a book on decoying PC the sales would go through the roof with novices buying it!

I have a question when was the last time you had a bad day??? I ask this because since ive been a member of PW for nearly a year now I havent seen one of your post that looks like a bad day

Following twenty five plus years decoying I will only set up if I think it's worth it . I never have a bad day as being out there doing it is enough . I have posted low numbers in the past but I do not think that the numbers are the important factor as I have had a bag of three hundred and seventh five and to be honest not that challenging as it was the same shot over and over. I would rather have fifty birds that are high crossers but as most of our shoots are for the crop protection numbers are the important element with respect to the farmers who let us shoot. This opens the door to other shoots by recommendation .

Following twenty five plus years decoying I will only set up if I think it's worth it . I never have a bad day as being out there doing it is enough . I have posted low numbers in the past but I do not think that the numbers are the important factor as I have had a bag of three hundred and seventh five and to be honest not that challenging as it was the same shot over and over. I would rather have fifty birds that are high crossers but as most of our shoots are for the crop protection numbers are the important element with respect to the farmers who let us shoot. This opens the door to other shoots by recommendation .

I see your point PC I was just curious. I think I would be on the same boat as you I would rather have a hard days shooting at good birds than the same shot over and over again.

All the best SW

Well done PC, I shot 34 on rape stubble on Monday with no dog and I was cream crackered I really suffer the next day after, god knows how you must feel ? Also are you finding that the birds show less interest from 5 onwards because this is my findings of late ?

Atb Dave

If we ware shooting from mid day onward it does tend to slow up about 17.00 that why we normally pack up at 18.00 also the birds will have got wise to the pattern and find other food sources .