review of firearms law coming soon...

HDAV

Ok so it's official http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/areas/firearms.htm

Firearms

Status: This is a scoping project. We expect to start work on the project early in 2015 and produce our scoping report early in 2016

Hopefully BASC/CPSA/NRA/SACS are going to be involved as this is the first point for new/amended legislation...... From the description I am worried, as any legislation designed to restore public confidence in the criminal justice system is bound to fail and cause huge unintended consequences. As it is legislation not design to tackle an issue but public perception.

That said, done properly it could be a benefit and may be the the opportunity to get previous poor legislation clarified ("occupier" etc)

it would seem from that vague statement that they may be looking in to re-classifying blank firers and replicas possibly.

i will be watching this with great interest, in particular, airsoft. will be interesting to see how they deal with that side of things.

It's about time something was done about the law regarding moderators, it is so stupid and time consuming to go though all the rigmarole just to change a piece of piping that has been tarted up with baffles.

It is no more dangerous than a cosh !!

Edited by EMcC

Would be nice to see like for like variations being able to be done by a RDF.

would save shooters and police a lot of time and money

Having now just read the article it looks more like the idea is to make it easer to prosecute the law breakers (not a bad thing)

and not help use law abiding shooters

Edited by bluesj

Having now just read the article it looks more like the idea is to make it easer to prosecute the law breakers (not a bad thing)

and not help use law abiding shooters

There is a fine line between the two depending on how you interpret the law. In theory .1 ft/lbs of a fine line, or one bullet too many.

There is a fine line between the two depending on how you interpret the law. In theory .1 ft/lbs of a fine line, or one bullet too many.

I agree with what you are saying, most of use must have looked in the pot of .22 ammo that hasn't cycled properly or had a miss shaped bullet and thought didn't realise there was that many!

It's about time something was done about the law regarding moderators, it is so stupid and time consuming to go though all the rigmarole just to change a piece of piping that has been tarted up with baffles.

It is no more dangerous than a cosh !!

We actually get off very lightly compared with the Aussies and Yanks. I get what you mean though.

The review seems to be predicated upon clarifying the law to enable easier legal prosecutions, rather than increasing freedoms for those who have used firearms safely for years.

Let us hope it starts with evidence - how many crimes are committed by the ungodly - versus the godly. How many illegal and therefore untraceable weapons are there in circulation compared to those legally owned. Sad to say I think the ease of prosecution will top the interests of legal shooters so a fairer system it wont be, perhaps they will stray into ammo limits etc but that is by no means clear.

To me it appears to be an exercise to consolidate and clarify the terminology of the various acts in a bid to simplify criminal prosecutions, and has nothing to do with revamping the firearms act for legally held firearms.

Don't expect user benefits from it!

Nice to see the continued claim that handguns have been banned since 1996 - apart from obviously all the humane dispatch pistols which are quite legally owned, banned has a nicer ring than heavily restricted though

The humane dispatch pistols that are in use have no real resemblance to the hand guns as they where pre 96. one shot two if your luck, cross drilled and board barrels, not the sort of thing you could use for target shooting if unless the target is only a foot away.

The humane dispatch pistols that are in use have no real resemblance to the hand guns as they where pre 96. one shot two if your luck, cross drilled and board barrels, not the sort of thing you could use for target shooting if unless the target is only a foot away.

Absolutely, my point is that the public are always being told they are 'banned' ie there are none legally held when actually there are, they might not have the capacity etc but are still handguns

Absolutely, my point is that the public are always being told they are 'banned' ie there are none legally held when actually there are, they might not have the capacity etc but are still handguns

Its very confusing for the public but does that matter?

Not a hand gun:

P1060059.jpg

To me it appears to be an exercise to consolidate and clarify the terminology of the various acts in a bid to simplify criminal prosecutions, and has nothing to do with revamping the firearms act for legally held firearms.

Don't expect user benefits from it!

:yes::yes::yes: