Time to try some foxing......

NickB65

Well the rape has been cut, the wheat is in and I have seen a few foxes out and about so I thought tI would try and see if I can get one. A quick chat with my father in-law (the farmer) and he was more than happy.

So, I know roughly where they are, I have made a fox caller based on the Tenterfield fox caller - made it out of a jam jar tin as per youtube and the first time I blew it I scared the **** out of me and the cat.

So - any hints, tips and advice?

I will be shooting either .22LR, .17HMR or .243 depending on if my father in-law will lend me his .243 or .17HMR.

Yes I know the limitations of the .22LR and the law hence I prefer to use the .17HMR and .243.

All constructive comments welcome :good:

Edited by NickB65

Some good books knocking about and they contain good information. Don't call them in and shine a lamp on them unless you are going to create holes, they will soon wise up.

The use of trail cams can help cut out a lot of guess work. I have little experience of hmr's and my main tool of choice is a triple but if i am checking around the pens i will use my 22 rimmy to keep the noise down. A well placed shot at a distance you are comfortable with will drop Charlie without much fuss

Good luck

I will be shooting either .22LR, .17HMR or .243 depending on if my father in-law will lend me his .243 or .17HMR.

Yes I know the limitations of the .22LR and the law hence I prefer to use the .17HMR and .243.

Nothing at all in the law to say you can't use a 22RF to shoot foxes. What the firearms guidance says is it can be an appropriate calibre, at short ranges and in experienced hands.

I'd be more concerned about the use of the HMR or 243 rifle if out solo/not 'in the company of' the certificate holder, as you'd both be commiting an offence. You, for having a firearm without an appropriate certificate, and him, for lending it to you.

I am licensed for both .17 HMR and .243 I just don't have the funds yet to buy one of each rifle. They were granted on my license as I have use of them when they are free. I hope to be out tonight to try out my new Tenterfield whistle and see if I can call a fox.....

Good luck with the foxing as well.

I have had a few years of shooting foxes and find that experience in the field is the best way of figuring out what works and what doesnt. I have had times where foxes have run to a call and times where they run away...different foxes, different behaviour. I would try a few different callers. I had a tenterfield whistle and found that I couldnt make any sort of sensible noise with it, so I gave up. I have found that the Wam caller works fairly well, especially on cubs that dont know any better.

I shot for about 7 years with a .223 and various lamps but have recently moved into the realms of night vision which is great. I have a Howa 1500 in .243 with a Pulsar N750A with a Nightmaster 800 IR illuminator. They literally dont know what has hit them.

I would generally go with the bigger calibre as it will drop them on the spot. I have shot a few foxes with my .17 HMR but only out to 70-80 yards whereas I have taken foxes out to 200 yards with the .243.

Well the rape has been cut, the wheat is in and I have seen a few foxes out and about so I thought tI would try and see if I can get one. A quick chat with my father in-law (the farmer) and he was more than happy.

So, I know roughly where they are, I have made a fox caller based on the Tenterfield fox caller - made it out of a jam jar tin as per youtube and the first time I blew it I scared the **** out of me and the cat.

So - any hints, tips and advice?

All constructive comments welcome :good:

fox callers I use ihunt app on my iPhone and a Bluetooth speaker £5.00 for the app £30 for speaker the first time I tried it two came charging in they didn't get charge out :P 243. is a good calibre for fox. or the old hand squeak will bring them in

Take a few methods of calling with you, WAM, Phone can be useful as calls are best used at low volume in a subtle way. Calm night, little wind and a call for the season, mating etc. mouse squeaker is a good tool too. Hand calls are cheap but effective. Use your computer to create longer calls for your phone using Audacity. You can drop-in sliences and other calls to make it effective.

Take a few methods of calling with you, WAM, Phone can be useful as calls are best used at low volume in a subtle way. Calm night, little wind and a call for the season, mating etc. mouse squeaker is a good tool too. Hand calls are cheap but effective. Use your computer to create longer calls for your phone using Audacity. You can drop-in sliences and other calls to make it effective.

can do it all on the iPhone :P keep your expensive callers ihunt works a treat

thanks for the advice - the tenterfield takes time to get used to but I can now produce a range of calls which sound about right. I also have hunt and a good bluetooth speaker so will try this next week.

The trips I have had out so far have all been side tracked with pigeons, work and the weather. Fingers crossed for Monday :-)

The tenterfield in my opinion is to harsh for this time of year ( I use my home made one in the winter).....a reed caller, widgeon whistle or the back of your hand as a lot of cubs around and the loudness of that caller will send them running....

If you look at my last post 5 cubs and one adult!

Soft squeaking is the key as the cubs are out on there own but mainly on mice/voles etc.....

Use the .243 then they wont get up.............

TEH