help with lab

misser

hi - got a 6 month old lab bitch...will walk on the lead..sit...stay (for a bit)....but when shes let off the lead she wont come back...I know it sounds stupid to you experienced dog trainers....she comes so close then sets off like a bat out of hell...when I get her back shes ok .....she never stops picking things up and chewing them.....ive had a dog before but got it when it was older and it didn't have these issues...any ideas or help appreciated, shes a nice dog but feel at the end with her as I don't really know what to do......all answers appreciated...thanks...atb

She's still very young! She's having a play around, running away from you is fun to her.

I wouldn't really worry too much about her puppyish behaviour just yet. What I would do though is to start working on her recall and whistle in a confinded space, like the garden or similar.

She has probably associated coming back to you with being put on the lead, having a ticking off for not coming back and then being kept on the lead. Playtime over for her!

I would try letting her off, having a play about, when you get her back lots of praise, then walk her for a bit, let her back off for another play, so she does not think that's it, playtime over maybe?

That's what I would try, I am far from a trainer though. Good luck!!

hi - got a 6 month old lab bitch...will walk on the lead..sit...stay (for a bit)....but when shes let off the lead she wont come back...I know it sounds stupid to you experienced dog trainers....she comes so close then sets off like a bat out of hell...when I get her back shes ok .....she never stops picking things up and chewing them.....ive had a dog before but got it when it was older and it didn't have these issues...any ideas or help appreciated, shes a nice dog but feel at the end with her as I don't really know what to do......all answers appreciated...thanks...atb

Yes 1. don't ever chase after her and don't repeat commands that are not being obeyed as it trains disobediance 2. being away playing is more rewarding to her than coming back to you (reverse the tables) 3. Time for proper training to start A-Z to your own requirements of her one step at a time.

You're doing it the wrong way round, you can teach it all you want but if it ****s off, it's useless. Teach the dog that all it's fun is with you & stop it ********* off, then start teaching it other things.

I suppose that's one way of saying good recall is the major foundation stone of training :lol:

Edited by kent