Working a Rescue dog

Aled

After recent discussions in the sporting press and on this forum, i would like to ask a question.

Is there anybody on here who does work, or has worked a rescue dog in any shape or form? (Spread is wide does not have to be gun work, sheepdog, running dog etc)

I'm interested because Battersea Dogs home do advertise rehoming working dogs (not only gun dogs but sheepdogs etc as well)

Cheers

Aled

Edited by Aled

My old Lab, who I lost earlier this year, was taken on as a five-year old rescue "pet". It took very little work to get him up to perfectly acceptable standard for Pigeon/Rough shooting and he worked right up to 12 years old, albeit at a much reduced pace due to his age and arthritis, and he was as keen as could be right up to the end. He'd never have made a peg dog or field trialler but that's not what I wanted anyway. Absolutely no reason why a rescue working breed dog shouldn't be viable, it's inherent in them, it's all really down to you as the trainer. I've had a lot of rescue dogs (currently got 6 non-working rescues) and they have all "come good" after some work - be patient. Once you've established the relationship, gained the trust of the animal and have got the basic obedience in place you should be OK, just make sure your expectations of the animal are realistic. I say go for it, there are so many dogs needing good homes...

My wife runs Springer Spaniel Rescue and we have 4 springers of our own, we have had some very good working dogs brought into us and one recently was a bitch bred by Nick Powell from Ormskirk (boundary moor gun dogs) who I believe is on the British team.

You never know what you are getting but my youngster is coming on well.

It wouldn't bother me getting a rescue dog but get a young one

Cheers

Mark

I would be interested to know if anyone has let it be known prior to obtaining a rescue dog that it is intended the dog will be worked. The reason I ask is that some years ago I made enquiries about a Springer from a rescue centre just outside Carlisle. When I let it be known quite innocently that it would be worked as a gun dog they wouldn't entertain the idea of me buying the dog for that purpose. Needless to say that was the end of enquiries.

Ah yes Scully that happened to me, however the dogs trust, battersea, and retriever rescue do rehome dogs to shooting homes, and i've since been told that the one that rejected me does rehome dogs to shooting homes, it just aks it not to be

Thanks for the replies all.

Cheers

Aled

My wife rescued a puppy when she was working out in Saudi Arabia that had been abandoned and possibly abused. She fell in love with him and we brought him back to the uk and got a DNA test which came back as a saluki canan cross. Although not a working dog I've had him on the hide after the pigeons and beating on a small shoot quite happily. He generally retrieves pigeons he has seen come down and flushes pheasants etc. so I'm more than happy with him. Makes a great pet and good for going running with. Just need to watch him on the hares!

My wife runs Springer Spaniel Rescue and we have 4 springers of our own, we have had some very good working dogs brought into us and one recently was a bitch bred by Nick Powell from Ormskirk (boundary moor gun dogs) who I believe is on the British team.

You never know what you are getting but my youngster is coming on well.

It wouldn't bother me getting a rescue dog but get a young one

Cheers

Hello,

Do you sell these rescue dogs on?

Thanks

I have 2 spaniels from rescue who were trusted to me as I WAS going to work them. I have another from same place who will also work once her confidence comes good. She's from same rescue via gamekeeper and worked b4 but lost confidence so he couldn't use her.

Some dogs come into rescue needing working homes, and a good knowledgable rescue will realise this and rehome appropriately. Some are even suggested to stay living outside...

My young rescue is my best dog, and will b on his third season this time round 😊

Back in time when I was heavily into lurchers, I rescued an emaciated and shabby looking bitch. She was too short at the shoulder for our needs then and although very bright and loyal lacked the speed for anything much past a quick grab ferreting. I decided to train her for the gun, which wasn't hard because this little bitch of unknown breeding and tatty looks only needed to tie up a command to the action the once and it just stuck and had a desire to please that I have never seen the like of before or since. One time I picked well over 100 birds with her from a wood (after dark), she was never steady to ground game because of her earlier work but I am totally sure if trained conventionally she might have mixed it with the very best.

Trouble is its a game of percentages, not all correctly bred dogs make the grade in the field and even the best trainers have to admit defeat at times, those odds don't improve if you take on a dog of unknown breeding or upbringing. Perhaps it better not to select a rescue for work but if you already have one its a different matter .