A fishing first

henry d

Just spent a week in the SW visiting relatives and managed one evening fishing with my brothers in law. We fished the Tamar at Mount Wise and would normally expect a heap of mackerel and the odd pollack, but as others have said they are in short supply at the moment.

One mackerel and a couple of small pollack was the tally until last light and the ebb when a guy next to me caught what seemed to be a 8 or 10 inch bass and quickly drop it into his barrel, then one of my b-i-l's looked to do the same, but it was a herring!

I had bought some herring rigs at ALDI recently as they looked like they may be good for sandeel and I quickly changed to them. I managed to land 8 in a hectic 10-15 minute session and lost about the same, then it all went quiet.

If you get a run of herring you will be lucky enough to know how good they taste, so much better than anything you get in the fishmongers.

They did not hit daylight lures/feathers, they look like the Japanese shrimp rigs.

Nicely done!

The ones on the left are the ones we use for sandeel, launce and herring.

We buy them straight out of the net from the inshore boats at Caister at 8 for a £1. One of the best eating fish in the sea IMHO.

Three quid buys a carrier bag full. I like to smoke a few.

17_b.jpg

17_c.jpg

they look great, now would you call them kippers ? I understand that kippers are cold smoked and yours look hot smoked, they are actually making my mouth water

Edited by islandgun

Well worth doing when you consider how much herring cost to buy here.

I use a Luhr Jensen, Little Chief home smoker similar to this. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Luhr-Jensen-Little-Chief-Home-Electric-Smoker/31965262

You've got the smoking bit right. They taste great when warm but I let them cool and then vacuum pack. With your eyes shut you wouldn't know them from kippers.

Works a treat. I've done all sorts in it.

Edited by Whitebridges

the little chief looks the business, I have a flimsy steel box about the same size which I heat with a gas ring, an ebay special, its a shame we don't have the choice they have in America it seems they take the great outdoors and food a bit more serious than us, did you get yours sent over

the little chief looks the business, I have a flimsy steel box about the same size which I heat with a gas ring, an ebay special, its a shame we don't have the choice they have in America it seems they take the great outdoors and food a bit more serious than us, did you get yours sent over

I bought it a good few years ago ( 7?) at a local shop. It was an end of line bargain. It was fifty quid :) and i've had my money's worth. I've smoked trout, beef ( jerky ) , cheese, pigeon breast and game meat in it. I use local cherry, apple and oak chips in it from a local sawmill.

I don't know whether you can get these from any supplier in the UK these days?

Edited by Whitebridges