Evening from sunny Stotfold!

Dakers

Hi all!

Just thought I'd say evening. I think I've been bitten by the bug a bit :-)

I've had a couple of shots down at my cousin's farm a few times, so took a lesson last year with Tim at LVSA to help make sure I was safe etc. Quite enjoyed it, but never followed it up. Had another lesson with Guy there a couple of weeks ago, and been mulling over doing more of it.

I think I'm leaning more to actual game shooting as I just like being outdoors more often.

Contemplating whether to have a few more supervised sessions or to bite the bullet and get a safe and apply for the SGC :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice, and all the warm welcomes from everyone. You really are a friendly bunch!
Well I put my application in at the beginning of August, and just had my visit today. would have been sooner but I was away with my son last week. Unfortunately my cabinet hadn't arrived yet, but meant I could make sure he was happy with the location before I went and fixed it in.
The FEO was very friendly, approachable and made me feel very comfortable with the process.
I've another lesson booked for this Saturday, and frankly can't wait. I've been soaking up Chris Batha's book which turned up the other day, and watched John King's DVD last night too. Just can't wait to get out there again!

I had a great lesson with Terry (Bakerboy) yesterday. I'd been looking forward to it like a kid for Christmas, and it was really good. Without blowing smoke up his backside, he's a top guy.

I really felt I got something from only my third ever proper outing with a gun, and was very comfortable shooting gun-down by the end of the lesson, having not done so before. Even so much that when trying to shoot gun-up to attack a rapid pair at the end, it felt weird starting with the gun there.

I had been tempted to go down the SxS route, having had my cousin and Uncle in my ear, but as I realistically might be on clay rather than game for a while, he's gently steered me towards an O/U.

Hopefully when the FEO comes back to check the cabinet and hand me my SGC, I can think about starting to shop around. In the meantime, I'll look to try and fit another lesson or two in before I try doing anything else on my own.

I guess I relate it to when I tried to have a go at golf. Had a couple of taster sessions and then spent plenty of time cursing at the driving range. If I'd spent longer actually just working on the basics with someone, rather than running ahead thinking I know enough, I'd have enjoyed it more.

For the investment, I'd rather spend the time and money with him. Plus he's a lovely chap and was happy to have any of his knowledge imparted on me.

Just looking forward to getting out there the next time. Shame this work thing gets in the way!

I had a great lesson with Terry (Bakerboy) yesterday. I'd been looking forward to it like a kid for Christmas, and it was really good. Without blowing smoke up his backside, he's a top guy.

I really felt I got something from only my third ever proper outing with a gun, and was very comfortable shooting gun-down by the end of the lesson, having not done so before. Even so much that when trying to shoot gun-up to attack a rapid pair at the end, it felt weird starting with the gun there.

I had been tempted to go down the SxS route, having had my cousin and Uncle in my ear, but as I realistically might be on clay rather than game for a while, he's gently steered me towards an O/U.

Hopefully when the FEO comes back to check the cabinet and hand me my SGC, I can think about starting to shop around. In the meantime, I'll look to try and fit another lesson or two in before I try doing anything else on my own.

I guess I relate it to when I tried to have a go at golf. Had a couple of taster sessions and then spent plenty of time cursing at the driving range. If I'd spent longer actually just working on the basics with someone, rather than running ahead thinking I know enough, I'd have enjoyed it more.

For the investment, I'd rather spend the time and money with him. Plus he's a lovely chap and was happy to have any of his knowledge imparted on me.

Just looking forward to getting out there the next time. Shame this work thing gets in the way!

You'll not go wrong with Terry good guy good coach and makes surprisingly good doughnuts!