My wife's work called...

DazzJo

Hi guys I'm hoping for some advice.

I got a call from the wife asking weather I can come to her work and see to a wood pigeon that had shot and badly wounded from it to, so it couldn't fly or walk. So as I get there the pigeon is stuck under a bush and was suffering quite badly so I gently took it away out of sight a put it out of its misery. Once I got it in the back of my car a gentleman who works with the wife has said that there has been issues with the neighbour shooting pigeons in his garden before. One day 12 months ago there were nine dead on the gravel of the works carpark after a weekend. So I'm wondering weather this "person" or "persons" shooting these pigeons on the works carpark is breaking the law or breaking the law by shooting the pigeons out of the tree on the carpark which also overhangs his garden??

Cheers guys!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chances are he would be breaking the law in one way or another , if the dead birds are landing over the boundary then chances are the pellet must be leaving his boundary , so thats illegal.

Secondly the chances he is shooting them under the terms of the GL is slim.

Most probably a young lad doing what most of us done when we were young . Unless you think people are being in danger I wouldn't give it another thought.

Well when my wife is involved in the business next door to the house then yes I am giving it a lot of thought.

I think I'd be having a quiet word with whomever is doing the shooting. It may not be your responsibility but you are a shooter and you're involved now, indirectly, so it may be better coming from you as you know what you're talking about. He may be a young lad who doesn't know any better.

If after talking to him he turns out to be a moron then sure enough, report it, or let him know someone will be reporting it.

I would second having a word first, like has been said it may be a youngster that doesn't know better and a few tips from you could do the trick without any song and dance.

if the person is just a k***b then report away to anyone who will listen!

Jay whilst I understand what you are saying, even as a young lad respect for quarry was always at the forefront of shooting. Disposing of it in a responsible manner comes under respect for quarry.

. Having respect for quarry is anything from leaving where they lay to chucking them on a muck heap or maybe eating a few. The main thing I was taught was to kill what ever it was I was pursuing as cleanly and quickly as possible. But as somone who has shot a lot of stuff I know there has been a lot of animals suffer a slow and painful death due to my pursuit .

i would play the "Good Cop", "Bad Cop" routine. Go round there as the "Good Cop" and inform him of the right way to go about shooting and what laws etc he is breaking. Then let him know that the manager of the wifes work is thinking of/going to report him. Then you should have an idea of whether, its just a good kid unaware of his actions, or a scrote who needs reporting.

edit: and if he is the latter and you need to report him, get the manager to do it, then you and/or wife shouldnt have any come back!

Edited by silver pigeon69

I do not think respect for quarry enters into this. He is breaking the law by shooting where he is and needs to be spoken to. As has been said, he will have a job proving he is acting within the terms of the General Licence at the very least. If he is not bothered about dropping birds outside his property, it is unlikely he will be bothered about gun safety either. His behaviour alone is conduct likely to cause a breach of the peace, if someone from your Wife's workplace decides to deal with the issue themselves. I would report the matter to the Police and let them deal with it.

I feel just running straight to the plod will do nothing but put there firearm crime stats up . giving them a bigger stick to beat us all with.

id go round and try and inform the person what he is doing is wrong and try and teach them something . then if it turns out its a total scrote then report them . but if it turns out to be a young kid that don't know any better and you help them to understand what they are doing is wrong and that's one more new shooter for the future.