My wife's work called...

DazzJo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to care 1 ounce for the person shooting them, they are not only leaving dead carcasses on others property but also wounding animals that you have had to pay your own money in fuel to go and sort out.

Go straight to the authorities and tell them and they'll have a word and as they won't have any evidence they won't be able to do much to begin with but he'll know he's 'marked' and will hopefully stop doing it.

If it was a case that he had shot the odd woodie and ate it and perhaps on one occasion had to come over and ask the business if he could retrieve a pigeon, fine - but he obviously is just shooting for the sake of it.

The chances are he would be breaking the law in one way or another , if the dead birds are landing over the boundary then chances are the pellet must be leaving his boundary , so thats illegal.

Secondly the chances he is shooting them under the terms of the GL is slim.

As he says, now decide do you or your wifes firm want to make an issue out of it?

People keep banging on about the GL , as far as I'm concerned it's a load of rubbish, if this is the case anybody who has shot pigeons roosting or over clover , chickweed or just on a flight line is breaking the law and should be prosecuted.

And? A pest is a pest because of were it is not what it is and all birds are protected in law other than those issued with a season. The GL permits you to act under separate legislation for specific reasons to kill birds otherwise protected. Sport, food and target practice aint mentioned among those reasons

I'd knock have a word, play the good guy, the business want to call the police but iv said I'll have a chat as a shooter myself so they don't. If it is a young lad educate him, iv shot birds on a disused railway behind my house as a young kid without my parents knowing. Outside our boundary but you don't realize or appreciate it as a kid.

if it's an irresponsible adult or you get a hostile response just say if it happens again the police will be involved and they have CCTV.

Right, I'm going around to the house tomorrow after work and hopefully someone will answer the door, it needs to be sorted as it is causing distress at the workplace, once I have hopefully spoken to the person, then I'll pop in to see manager of the workplace and update him on hopefully what I'll be able to say " is progress in the matter ". If they don't want to play ball then a call will be made to the police to mark his cards...

And? A pest is a pest because of were it is not what it is and all birds are protected in law other than those issued with a season. The GL permits you to act under separate legislation for specific reasons to kill birds otherwise protected. Sport, food and target practice aint mentioned among those reasons

what a load of rubbish . so why is it ok to shoot roosting pigeons that have been feeding 3 miles away on another farm.

DazzJo, please remember you have no evidence that he has committed any offence regarding the shot leaving his boundary. That's only an assumption.

The person could have chucked the birds over the fence....again only an assumption.

If I were you I would stick to what I know or can prove and to be honest it's not your place to complain about it as your not the landowner.

Be careful if you go knocking on someone's door accusing them because you may be barking up the wrong tree and I for one wouldn't take kindly to someone accusing me.

As for the injured bird we must have all done the same at some point. I've pricked birds that I've unfortunately not been able to find. It's the reality of shooting.

If you must knock on doors I would knock on a few including either side of your suspected address asking if they know who may be shooting the birds and in no way being accusing. If you knock on the suspect one and ask if they know who may be shooting and they deny it that will probably be enough to make them think twice.

Harry

what a load of rubbish . so why is it ok to shoot roosting pigeons that have been feeding 3 miles away on another farm.

Because by shooting roosting pigeons you are stopping them from feeding on a crop some where . So you are shooting them under the GL as you are protecting a crop from damage.

Until someone gets a ricochet....

so I guess you never pull the trigger. Ricochets can go anywhere and can make a 100 % safe shot( if there is such a thing) go terrible wrong. I know times have changed but as a young lad I most probably done a lot worse in my back garden even though I had a great mentor , to me no one has been hurt or near missed so no big deal. by all means give a heads up to the person that what he's doing ain't quite right, believe me the world we live in today a lad knocking a few woodies out of a tree is most probably one of the better ones.

Just a quick update guys I've spoken to the manager of my wife's work about it just to see if it is definitely the man next door and he has actually been seen and also caught on camera by the landlord of the building behind actually shooting during 9-5 hours to the tree on the OPPOSITE side of the carpark!! Now what should I do get the landlord to show the authorities the footage or still go round??

Just a quick update guys I've spoken to the manager of my wife's work about it just to see if it is definitely the man next door and he has actually been seen and also caught on camera by the landlord of the building behind actually shooting during 9-5 hours to the tree on the OPPOSITE side of the carpark!! Now what should I do get the landlord to show the authorities the footage or still go round??

Personally, if you want to be involved (which is of course entirely up to you) then I would go round, knock on the door and ask to speak to the person responsible for shooting the pigeons. Something along the lines of: 'Sorry to bother you, I'm not police officer, but someone who has been asked by the company across the road to have a quiet word with the person who has been seen and filmed shooting pigeons from this property. They are considering contacting the police but I said I would have a word first as the person responsible possibly isn't aware that what they are doing is illegal'. And take it from there. If they turn out to be numpties then **** 'em.

Why is nobody else doing it ?

Go tell the landlord or your wife's boss to do something and leave well alone.

Then the police can make up there mind.

John.

I would get them to go to the police station with what they have and ask for something to be done or they could confront the suspect and ask him to stop of the video will be shown to the police. Either was its their call.

:yes::yes::yes:

First posted 4 Aug and both the Landlord and Manager seem to have known about the problem before then. Now 10 Aug. Has anyone made a decision, one way or another, or does the dithering continue?

The landlord spends a lot of time away so it is difficult to get hold of apparently. I've also told the wife to get the manager to speak with the landlord again about it for him to notify the police, first thing Monday. As soon as I hear anything more I'll let you know.

Does it show kids or adults on video? If my kids were shooting without my knowledge (not that they could even the air rifles are locked away) then I'd appreciate a knock to let me

Know what's going on rather than the police knocking round. I'd deal with it.

I would still knock as the friendly shooter that's trying to do him a favor by stopping the company ringing police. If it's not kids of you get a hostile response just say you will pass it to police, and walk away don't get into any argument etc.