HH decoys

stuy

Still have and use them, must be 25 years old now.

Been trying to get some of these had some years ago and were lost during a house move, just spoke to mr morrison he used to make then . But hasnt made any in 5 years, gutted used great for lofting as well as a normal decoy

Likewise. I have a couple of dozen dating back to the dark ages.Went off them for a while and they were stuffed into a box,on getting them back I thought they were gonners,all creased and crumpled but put them out on the back lawn in the sun for an afternoon and they wondrously returned to their original shape and form.Great product,I would willingly have more if/when they become available.

A dunk in warm water sorts them out too, as does a dusting of french chalk on the insides.

Likewise. I have a couple of dozen dating back to the dark ages.Went off them for a while and they were stuffed into a box,on getting them back I thought they were gonners,all creased and crumpled but put them out on the back lawn in the sun for an afternoon and they wondrously returned to their original shape and form.Great product,I would willingly have more if/when they become available.

Quality materials I think, as they weren't cheap even back then.

Mine did go all hard, crispy and squashed after a few years of non use, but a soak in a sink of warm water had them back to new in 10 minutes.

Thanks and very interesting to see them.

The manufacturer did a great job for them to last so well and keep the rubber flexible

Have a read of this.

Manufacture has changed hands once from the original inventor/manufacturer from David H Gall to the Mr. Morrison mention in Stuy's OP.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/882-hh-decoys/

If anyone wants to progress this direction, I can help with the manufacturing with quality materials provided the copyright was all sorted out and the inventor was happy for someone else to make/sell them. I would want to see that legal and moral side sorted first.

Edited by Penelope

Just spoke to mrs morris and her husband has not got time to make them anymore, she says she has many phone calls over these decoys, and the moulds are made by him a time consuming job she says , a pity oh well will look for someone selling them maybe, on*bay just missed out someone selling 35 hh decoys for £180

• 1 year later...

I made a Plaster of Paris mould from some old HH decoys that my Father bought back in 1986, they were expensive but in my opinion the best Decoy ever made. Although after a while we got fed up with the balloons in them and filled them with expanding foam, so defeating the object of a compact full bodied decoy, but they still look good and I use them today. I bought some liquid mould latex off ebay and coloured it up with Acrylic Black to match the original Grey of the HH and was pleased with the results, and I bought glass eyes to put in them. But considering how much all the materials cost and the hours I spent and I had some go a bit wrong, the four I made must have cost £25 each!!

But I always make sure I have at least a dozen dead ones in the freezer, but their is a certain satisfaction about decoying with stuff you make yourself and not just bought. If they came up for sale now I would buy some, or would love to see how the guy used to make them as I'm sure its a damn sight easier than my method.

I missed out last year. someone sold a load on ebay, Forty of em and they sold for approx £5. 50 each!! I asked if they would split it into two lots but they wouldn't. But now I wish I had bought the lot. The ones I made are good and with the glass eyes they look great, but taking out the last bird I dropped the Mould and smashed it, not had time to make another one. But over the winter I should get around to it and make some more. :yes:

The HH decoy was made from an idea that came from David home-gall and Robert Bigger snr, both now sadly deceased, as a boy I can remember calling on for my mate for school and seeing a batch of these decoys on the kitchen table awaiting painting by my mates mum!!

David died some years ago, so where and how these moulds ended up, can only be truly answered by the chap who was a very close friend of DHG,(he still lives a mile for DHG old home) and not only arranged his funeral but disposed of his "estate", as far as I am aware the patent is still registered to DHG, I have just one of these great decoys given to me by this chap and when I look at it, I can see David's huge smile beaming out from behind his handlebar moustache and great enthusiasm for all connected to Pigeon shooting.

The HH decoy was made from an idea that came from David home-gall and Robert Bigger snr, both now sadly deceased, as a boy I can remember calling on for my mate for school and seeing a batch of these decoys on the kitchen table awaiting painting by my mates mum!!

David died some years ago, so where and how these moulds ended up, can only be truly answered by the chap who was a very close friend of DHG,(he still lives a mile for DHG old home) and not only arranged his funeral but disposed of his "estate", as far as I am aware the patent is still registered to DHG, I have just one of these great decoys given to me by this chap and when I look at it, I can see David's huge smile beaming out from behind his handlebar moustache and great enthusiasm for all connected to Pigeon shooting.

Thats a great bit of info thanks. Thats the bit I like the most, painting them!

Yes, all hand painted, she did six at a time then on to the next batch, a real cottage industry!! the lady who painted them is still around and I always tease her about it when ever I see her ! We would deliver a load of logs to DHG , Knowing payment offered would be a days pigeon shooting in Northampton!!! Happy days

I make Show Jumps for Horses throughout the Summer and sell logs in the winter, and in my spare time I make my own Pigeon gear! I enjoyed making the few HH copies and with the glass eyes they look good, been trying to get a pic on here of one I made, but will have another go when Im in the mood :lol: bloody computers!!! :unhappy: