Lowther Show

explore

Going Saturday,been years ago and loved it,hope there are plenty of stalls.

There's usually quite a few, and since Countryman took it over there are usually a good number of gun stalls also, something that wasn't present at the Horse Driving trials for years. I live just down the road so I'll be there on Saturday also.

If anyone going has a spare Pigeon (whole, thawed out frozen one would do) could you please drop one in to Paul Hart "The Pigeon Shooter" he has forgotten to take one for his flapper demo

The poor old guys memory isn't what it used to be LOL

Edited by Tam

A personal experience of the show:

Was up at 0500 as syndicate birds were due to be delivered at 0600. Didn't take us long so after a quick brew at a mates cafe headed off to the show and was there for around 0730 or even earlier, as security must have thought we were stall holders and greeted us with a 'alright lads?' and in we went without paying! Most stalls were still closed, some were still being erected and some of the stallholders were in their slippers! By now the sun had burnt through the cloudy and breezy start and the outlook was positive.

The site was dry which was surprising after the thunderous downpour and localised flooding of the previous night.

Must admit it was grand having a stroll so early when everything was relatively quiet and had a chat to a few stallholders I knew, but as I had a dead pigeon in a carrier bag made a search for The Pigeon Shooter - Paul Hart. Some bloke setting up a decoying stall was very abrupt when I asked if he were the gentleman in question so that was the end of that conversation; some people just aren't morning people, but no harm done, then spotted the stall I wanted but all awnings down. A quick gander round the back revealed a caravan, and a quick pause to check it wasn't rocking before walking round the other side, revealed the man in question and his bonnie other half(?) These were morning people and both smiley and cheery. Seemed pleasant folk so pigeon handed over we went in search of a brew.

There was a long line of horsie types walking Indian file through an obstacle course in an arena, who we watched while having a brew and after deciding against tagging on the end just for laugh we wandered on.

Called in on Marcus (John Bradshaw Guns) whom we've known for a few years now but haven't seen since last year, for the craic. Nice, genuine bloke whom we have had some good deals from over the years, always helpful with a very good sense of customer care.

More or less next door was a Blaser stand with some very nice examples of the F3 and amongst others a very nice break action Stutchzen stocked .308. Looked so small it was almost toy-like, but a serious piece of kit.

A safari stall with an impressive array of African stuffed heads ( including some species of white monkey with a bright blue 'groin protector' saving its blushes from an admiring public frozen mid swing from the ceiling ) peering down from the walls didn't have much else to offer the likes of us except possibly lamenting the fact we don't have Widebeest sweeping majestically over our rough shoot, so we moved on.

Mate was after a waterproof fleece/hoodie/parka type top so Nomad UK drew our attention. The bloke was still setting up in his slippers as we pestered him with one query after another. There was a pair of Salopettes I was interested in but very expensive gear this, with one fleece having a price tag of over 200 quid, but there was a pair hanging on display which it was claimed had done over a 1000 hours of highland stalking and were still 100% waterproof, with only a slight patch of scuffing to show for it.

Anyhow, despite telling myself they would probably last me a lot of years I just couldn't justify the price, and with mates failure to negotiate a deal with stallholder over a jacket, we moved on.

Country Covers was next; a favourite stall of mine and a very nice couple whom I've talked to over the years. Had a good natter with the owner over a pair of heavy duty salopettes but told him I wanted a look right round the ground before deciding to buy, but promised I'd be back later.

Bumped into a mate, river bailiff and fellow shooter I hadn't seen for some time and after a chat visited the BASC stand. Mr. J. Scott was there but have meet him before and as there wasn't anyone I recognised (do Solway Fowlers not share the BASC stand anymore?) to enable me to continue a phone conversation I had we chatted to a lovely lady who is the marketing director of Longthorne Guns, Elaine Stewart. A very knowledgeable, pleasant and smiling woman, who, if I had the money, I'm sure could have persuaded me to part with it in exchange for one of her shotguns. These guns are truly beautiful objects, 100% made in the UK, just down the road so to speak, and are true side locks. I would prefer a box lock, but as I don't have the money it's totally irrelevant! Gorgeous guns. Nice to see the skill is still in the country.

Next was another brew ( followed by the loo, which incidentally was those plastic giant orange juicer thingies which means you have to concentrate to have a slash while trying to ignore the bloke two feet away who is facing you and trying to do the same) and then another gun dealer from somewhere in Lancashire who regailed us with tales of goose shooting with a Winchester Wildfowl model 101 with 1 and 1/8th oz of lead back in the day which he claimed would 'do' a goose where BB's wouldn't. He had a couple of beautiful Browning A1's in which caught my eye but mates eye had been caught by a straight pull Merkel Helix. Nice kit I have to admit, both in wood and synthetic, and while he was talking to the vendor they started to realise they had known each other from way back, so we were in there a while !

Bumped into some more folk we knew, and then had our boots polished for free by a nice young lass (they all are nowadays) whose dancing boobies were pleasant to watch while she buffed away :) Had to remember to look at her face each time she looked up to talk to me . Mate had his done also, and even bought some polish. Another brew( probably) and by now it was getting busy. Visited the Aigle stall where a very attractive young lady from Edinburgh tried to sell mate a waistcoat, and failed, but we had a good laugh with her.

Called in on the NGO stand where an equally attractive young lady tried to persuade us to re-join after we told her we had been members until just recently, but she failed also, for now. It was nice to see there was a live firing .22rf range; something which Lowther hasn't had for many a year, if at all and then on passing The Pigeon Shooter enquired how the 'decoy' was doing before noticing it bobbing up and down behind someone, except it wan't mine. Mine had started to drop to bits, much to my shame but not surprise. Someone else had also dropped by with one thankfully, and despite mine only being shot the previous evening,this new one obviously hadn't been shot with 3/4 choke and retrieved by a terrier (she really does retrieve......anything and everything). Mr Hart's wife (?) with a smile offered to get 'mine' but as it was past resuscitation and was possibly only now attracting flies I thanked her and said it was ok, she could keep it. My generosity knows no bounds. To Mr and Mrs (?) Hart I sincerely apologise, and if another is needed next year will endeavour to find one more suitable. :)

Chatted to a friend and 'keeper we knew for half an hour then went for lunch where we met another fellow shooter who, despite being a very good all round shot said he had done 'carp' on the clays, only scoring 38, but from his group (all known to us, including my nephew) all had done worse. Said there were some difficult targets.

Helluva lot of dogs about, and more Borders than most, and I'm always torn as to whether to bring or leave my dog, but with the heat I was pleased I'd left her at home. No fun walking around in that heat with a fur coat you can't remove.

Almost bought a Ghillie Kettle, but it was only a litre so may get in touch on-line and order a 2ltr model. Spotted a young woman on a stall from a store local to me which shall remain nameless, with the longest legs in the tightest shorts I've ever seen; the shorts commonly known as 'mumbling pants' who was oblivious to the mayhem she was causing (or was she?) and I'm betting I'm not the only bloke there who wished he were her Labrador just for those few seconds, and my mate, who isn't religious at all, crossed himself as we walked past.

Anyhow, had a look in another gun dealers by the name of Swillington Shooting Supplies, which had some very nice shotguns on display, including a nice 325 G5. While mate was particularly taken with a 525 G5 and was enquiring how much his high grade SP might be worth in part-ex', and I was idly watching some young lad buying a shotgun for his girlfriend/wife, I spied a Winchester Grand European :yes: Oohh, pulse rate now increased (BIG 101 fan) a quick perusal seemed to show it was in good nick , and seeing it had the personally preferable Prince of Wales grip, asked if, despite me not having my ticket, it could be unlocked for closer inspection. No problem ,he never even asked.

Broke the gun, looked down the barrels and forcing cones/chambers, all seemed bright and shiny; closed it and removed fore-end and barrels. Putting it back together showed no rattles or apparent looseness, except on opening, but most are. Fore-end appeared slightly lighter than stock but all numbers matched, so nothing untoward there, and in a better light I could see there was some decent, nicely figured wood under there. Someone had applied too much oil to the wood at some point, and the outside of the barrels showed seemingly honest wear, but no dings, scratches or gouges and nothing else obvious so asked if they would be interested in my Beretta Super Sport as part-ex', to which he made an offer dependant on condition. A deposit of 50 quid secured the gun and it was arranged I do the deal the following week when one of them travelled to Scotland via the A66 on business to save me a trip to Leeds or RFD to RFD fees. Sorted.

Time for a brew! Mate is taken with G5 Browning so we may be going down sometime anyhow.

Visited a very small stall of which it was unclear what it was they were selling. Turned out they weren't selling anything but trying to create exposure for an organisation called Next Generation Fieldsports, run by a bloke who is a former BASC member but who has become disillusioned with what he claims is BASC's lack of foresight and development regarding the recruitment of children and young adults, particularly those with learning difficulties and special needs, into fieldsports. He had some interesting things to say, including their impending affiliation to the CA. I wish them well.

Negotiated a pair of Salopettes with addition of flies (the amount of brews I have I need trousers with flies) from Country Covers, which they will send in time prior to the start of the shooting season, had ears plugged with silicone for CENS (not the 400 quid plus jobbies) then went to NGO stand again where we were given coffee and biscuits and asked one of the 'keepers to tell us why we should join them rather than BASC. Truth be known I was joining anyway as I'm not happy with BASC and will be letting my membership lapse after cancelling DD, but still need to show insurance for syndicate, so am now a NGO 'Keeper Member'.

It was good to see that the carriage driving now enters the show ground at various times throughout the day, so all visitors can see what its all about, and worth seeing it is, very impressive. The Duke of Edinburgh was judging, and due to his work load declined an offer from mate and me to come for a brew, but said he would call by the lady with the 'mumbling' pants later in the day.

By now we'd been round about four times and were lagging a bit, so we had another brew (and another pee) and it started to dawn on me that if I could make a phone call to get out of some business I had planned for later, and then went home and got my ticket and Beretta, I could be back within an hour and have a Grand European to go out shooting with tonight :good: So after calling back at Marcus and ordering our cartridges and ammo which he'll drop off at a shoot next weekend on his way up North to do some loading, and a pause long enough on the clay line to see there were indeed some deceiving targets, we came home after having hand stamped to say we'd paid :ninja: Back in Landy after picking up the necessary, back to Lowther where my Beretta passed muster and a fair deal was agreed ( I don't mind, and understand anyone in business needs to make a profit but don't like being ripped off, which I didn't feel I had been ) So after the necessary was done and handshakes all round, I came away with my first Grand European which I have sought for some time.

Took it out for a wander with dog later on and swung onto its first ( with me anyhow) bolting bunnie, and.......nothing. Rabbit safely made it to railway. Looked down wondering what I'd been sold, to see that little 'S' on the tang. Look from dog said it all really ; I didn't know she knew what ***ker meant.

Sorry for the ramble, but it was a very good day.

Edited by Scully

Sounds like you had a good day, good write up.

Figgy

Many thanks. Yes, it was a very good day and good to see so many people there, enjoying the day out.

Hope you enjoy Grand European

Thanks. Intend to have the woodwork done to show the grain under all that grime. Went up to shoot with it this morning for a pop at a few clays. Nice to have a familiar handling gun again.