Some bad news today

fenboy

Had some bad news today.

My cocker Flynn has had a small mole like growth on his top lip for a month or two but in the last week or so its at least doubled in size.

So I had him to the vets yesterday and they took some cell samples , results came back today as a malignant tumor

They are not keen to operate due to the location of the tumor , and even if they did cannot guarantee that it has not got into his lymph nodes.

They can offer some tablets to slow its progress at £250 a month but these can only be given for 6 months.

So looks like I have a difficult decision to make .

DSC_0057_zps9365053c.jpg

That's very sad fen boy . All responsible owners will do what's right for their dog . I have been there and it hurts like hell . These problems with dogs is made worse by the charges these vets are prepared to charge . It's if they want you to bend over every time you go to them .

Harnser

Sorry to near that, but don't be to hasty as you know your dog better than anyone, they have a great way of telling us when they have had enough. The best of luck.

I am hoping he will go on for a while yet and I am sure I will know when the time is right , he does not seem to be in any pain with it at the moment but the vets said it will become so sooner or later , I will then do what needs to be done does not matter how many dogs you have had its is still such a tough thing.

Sorry to hear this. Its always a big blow when you know they are ill and nothing the vet can do will make any difference in the long run.

We had this with our old German Shepherd a number of years ago. We decided not to have treatment as the treatment available would have made the quality of life not as good even if it extended the time we had her.

Had another good 18mths before we had to let her go.

Sorry to hear this. Its always a big blow when you know they are ill and nothing the vet can do will make any difference in the long run.

We had this with our old German Shepherd a number of years ago. We decided not to have treatment as the treatment available would have made the quality of life not as good even if it extended the time we had her.

Had another good 18mths before we had to let her go.

Thanks

Exactly the situation I am now in , I will be very happy if I get another 18 months with him but if the tumor keeps growing at its present rate then I fear its unlikely.

I have all ready decided against treatment for him as its just not worth putting him through it to get another 6 months for him, let alone the financial consideration.

I've been there myself, back last December. One of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make, and I hope I never have to make one like that again.

You will make the right decision though, for Flynn's sake. Although, like my dog, Flynn is probably not in any pain, I found this poem to be a great help.

Steve.

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this, the last battle, can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree,
It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you,
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close, we two, these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.