Browning 525 or 725

solz

Hey all, looking for some advice on what gun to get :)

First may I say this gun will many be used on clays with the odd pigeon ( as I have a semi auto for that)

So my question is which to get the browning 525 or the 725 ( I will be buying new) im looking for a l/h sporter grade 1 model.

Is the 725 worth the extra money? Is there a noticeable difference in the models? I have shot the 525 and the fit and feel is good for me, although i did have a bit of cheek slap but I guess that's down to my mount, I should also say that I plan to hve a few lessons to start with :)

Any advice is welcome

Solz

Edit: sry if this question has been asked befor, if it has I'm sry and a link to the topic would be nice

Edited by solz

When you say you prefer the 725 why is that? Is it the handling? THe piontablity? The recoil? Or just general feel of the gun?

Anyway hopefully i will make another trip to the gun shop and I can pick up and shoot both of them side by side

Thx

Solz

I notice that you have a Browning '352'. I assume that this is a typo for '325'. I have two 325s. They are great guns, very similar to and in one or two respects perhaps a bit better than the 525 series, so I am a little puzzled as to why you want to buy one of the latter. The 725 is quite a bit different, however.

I didn't notice I did I typo, yes I have. 325 and a beretta 687, the 687 is a 28" barrel and the 325 is a 30" but don't realy get on well with either.

I want to getting into clay shooting a bit more and think I prefer a 30" barrel ( which the 325 has) but like a said don't shoot well with it. It was given to me as a Gift some years ago also. I am going to part ex it for the new one :)

I went to coleys the other day I tried the 525 there :) but didn't try te 725, was just wondering if anyone else thought the 725 was worth the more money

The build quality of both will be the same, so if the 725 fits you better, and feels better to you then its worth the extra money. As said above, shoot both then decide.

If you can't get on with a standard 325 or Beretta 687, then you will probably benefit from having whatever you buy fitted professionally.

I didn't notice I did I typo, yes I have. 325 and a beretta 687, the 687 is a 28" barrel and the 325 is a 30" but don't realy get on well with either.

I want to getting into clay shooting a bit more and think I prefer a 30" barrel ( which the 325 has) but like a said don't shoot well with it. It was given to me as a Gift some years ago also. I am going to part ex it for the new one :)

Lucky you to have been given a 325! It should bring a useful sum in part exchange - check the Guntrader prices - especially as 30 inches are probably more sought after for all round purposes. Anyway, good luck with your search.

I don't know why anyone buys a new gun. I have bought a few - in a moment of insanity. Get a mint second-hand one. I don't think the 725 is worth any more than a 525, but they cost a lot more. Minimal changes, but price increase.

The same could be said of many shotguns eg the Beretta 686/7 or Prevail vs the 692.....

I went for a 32" B725 in the end over a number of other guns that I tried, including B525, MK38, 686Evo, SV10, and a few others, in varying lengths of barrels. I swapped from a 687.

It was the one I was least interested in at the time, mainly due to the style of the S1 sporter action, and the orange badges.

BUT it was the one that felt most at home in my hands. I spent quite a lot of time trying the guns before I came to my conclusion.

As said above, the B525 and B725 are both similar build quality. There are a few 'enhancements' of the 725 over the B525. How much real difference they make I do not know. The most noticeable difference when I first picked up the 725 was the palm swell - which is more notable on the 725, and I liked.

PS - I went for new, mostly because there were very few SH 725s when I bought mine.

The same could be said of many shotguns eg the Beretta 686/7 or Prevail vs the 692.....

True that!

I've tried a couple of 32" 725s and in my hands they have much better feel, balance, dynamics and triggers than any previous Browning I've tried. I really don't like the Gd 1 receiver styling, especially the orange, and I know it's significantly more money, but as a gun primarily for clays I would still choose the 725 over the 525 every time.

solz,

if you don't get on with the 325,then I cannot see where a 525 will feel much different?

325/425/525 to me feel very similar.....whereas the 725 is radically different.as a pure clay gun I would think it is 725 v berettas for you.

I am a 425 man and stuck in my ways,I shot a 725 and it shot great...I just could get over having ORANGE bits on it!!But as a clay gun thought it was excellent and lovely to shoot.

I agree with Gordon above,I would never buy a new gun again...20% to govt and say 10% for 'leaving the forecourt' isn't good economics,when guns are going to be used and these days last forever 2nd hand is way to go.atb.

Thank you for the replies,

I actually like the look at the 725, and like the black action even more, but think that's is a bit to much money for me.

What I have been thinking is going for the 525 and with the money I save ( by not buying the 725) spend on a few lessons :)

This of course may change when I try both guns next to each other or if I can find a 725 s/h

Solz