Food for free - N Wales Coastline

hedd-wyn

Well I got lucky today and got myself a nice lobster and velvet crab off the rocks into the deep locally, also picked some samphire on the way home.

I used one of those cheap £10 traps with a decent rope attached to the end anchored to a crevice. For bait I used an ugly mackerel that had seen better days and it would appear to have done the job very well.

Two of the other lads weren't so lucky as they're traps weren't there when we went to check them this. Probably been robbed by a fair weather fisherman.

If anyone could recommend me a decent wine to go with this it would be appreciated?

ALB

Hedd

10600417_10152208516925872_8751709517808

I miss been by the sea, as a kid i pretty much grew up in somerset school hols weekends always spent at the folks holiday home in blue anchor bay it sat on the beach itself used to fish from the patio and gill net the tides and then use my quad and razz round selling em to the shops and holiday makers.

Oh the days

Hope you enjoyed the food looks cracking

I havent eaten them yet, they were blanched for 60 seconds then frozen. I will defrost them today then boil them for about 12 mins begore eating.

Managed to get a gallon of prawns with the pushnet last night after work so Im going to make a huge paella for the Mrs when she gets back from the big city tomorrow.

Cant for the hell of me find any paella rice though! Will try Bangor today after work.

Edited by hedd-wyn

Jesus Hedd wyn are you really going to eat a velvet swimmer crab lol. If your going to getting to foraging more bare in mind that lobster, brown crab etc all have minimum landing sizes. Hope the pialla was good.

haha Yes, the French are mad about them apparently.

Checked everything was legal before heading out Terry, same with fishing I get overly paranoid about these things. That's the beauty of internet on mobile phones these days you can more or less check on the spot to make sure that you aren't breaking any laws.

However my mate had caught a lobster the day before and although it was over the legal limit it did appear small, so it was thrown back straight away.

Tried most things but I draw the line a velvets lol. You should get razor fish on the beaches round your way, big tides and some salt now they are tasty. I prefer brown crab to lobster but both nice on a summers eve.

Come over to Holyhead in oct till dec on the breakwater, we get loads of prawns with drop nets and the kids love it too. We can get a couple of kilos in half an hour on a good night.

Tried most things but I draw the line a velvets lol. You should get razor fish on the beaches round your way, big tides and some salt now they are tasty. I prefer brown crab to lobster but both nice on a summers eve.

Come over to Holyhead in oct till dec on the breakwater, we get loads of prawns with drop nets and the kids love it too. We can get a couple of kilos in half an hour on a good night.

I've never had much luck with the razor clams to be honest Terry, there's a guy at work that collects them and he's asked me to come along with him the next time. Always wanted to try them.

I took my nephew fishing for the first time to the Holyhead Break last bank holiday. Excellent place! Like fishing in Zoo Mor haha you never know what you're going to catch next. He managed to catch a few whiting and a herring. Not bad for a 6 year old, he did better than his dad anyway.

Bought myself a pushnet last month as well, got a few pints of prawns last night from the Straights, hard work. In fact I'l be using some tonight as bait in Dinas Dinlle. Promised to take my father in law fishing.