Shoot rents - what is the going rate??

Our landlord is proposing a 20% hike claiming we haven't had inflationary increases for some time. No other justification. Facilities aren't good, we do all the work. Crops don't do us any favours. It's 900 acres with probably 6/7 woodland. What is the going rate in E/Anglian??

Hmmm, Norfolk. As you are most probabily still talking pounds shillings and pence, don't quibble

In our area it varies.

I am involved in 3 shoots. 1st one I pay £2 per acre only 1 wood but 3 good flight ponds.

2nd shoot we pay £4per acre a number of small woods and 3 cover crops planted.

3rd Shoot its £7 per acre much better ground with a mixture of crops and a number of small woods planted with shooting in mind.

I know in the case of the 1st and the 3rd shoot the landowners have been approached by the commercial shoots next door and offered double what we pay.

Basically I think you need to ask what its worth to you? We gave a shoot up that we had built up over 20 years due to an increase in the rent nearly 10years ago and I still regret it.

Good luck

Thanks for feedback. As in all things nothing is black and white. Landlord is "retiring" ie he is handing over reins to daughter and is possibly setting the scene for her stewardship! She seems ok but has already flexed her muscles re some safety aspects of the shoot which seemed unnecessary to me - this is the most regulated and disciplined of the 6/7 shoots I'm involved with. We also have to buy all our wheat from farm at whatever rate they determine. It is there or thereabouts for price but there is no opportunity to buy cheaper if presented to us. The landlord has a gun in the syndicate (not sure if we/he pays) so possibly we can negotiate around that. I gather we have lost a good drive too (L/l fell out with a neighbour whose land we walked over/stood guns on to use a small wood we own) so this may be a negotiating point.

The chances of replacing the land for 20 guns isn't good so he/they have us over a barrel. My view is we try to negotiate but suspect if push comes to shove we will pay but it will sour relationships.

no one shoot is the same, as said it's what value to you, how easily could it be replaced, could you buy let days with money saved etc. Norfolk is some what of a stand alone county as it lives on its shooting history and lots of people want to shoot there, this increases rents as it will always be taken

if the L/l has a gun this should be taken off rent, but there is only one winner as he puts rent up to cover this,

try and work with them on the els schemes etc it should benefit everyone.

the wheat is a definite no unless it's a average price off the combine, if not ask for a receipt see how he likes that

hope you work something out atb.

It all depends on wot u think of the ground and can afford.

Prob a case of sitting all the guns round the table and laying it out for them either stump up more dosh or walk away.

If u and other guns are all involved with other shoots may be easier to walk away but all depends how good the ground is. Be hard esp if its a good group of guns to get them all into another shoot together

If u decide to pay possibly good tiime to ask for cover crops etc, the wheat thing is a strange thing althou to be fair i think i would buy it of them just to be polite but strange when forced to buy it of them.

I'm very lucky where i am with rent prices, so think £6 an acre for average land (and remember paying for all acres not just wot u can use)is quite a lot. But that may be the norm down there.

I lost out on a nieghbouring piece of ground to our shoot a few years ago and i offered 20p+vat an acre, was all i thought it was worth and thats with already having the shoot next door, really only wanted the 1 flight pond. Ended up going for 1.20+ and the farmer has never ever seen the shooters since they took it on, was told wanted it for dog training. Crazy money for that ground, more money than sense

Talking to one of our p/t keepers the general feeling is that this is now the friendliest bunch of guns they have ever had and thus no wish to change things so likely we will just pay. It seems all revenues (they own several properties on estate and fishing lakes) are increasing. Wheat is a minor bone of contention but l/l refuses tolet wheat from outside on his land - disease etc the reasons.

Landlord might plant some more trees (mixed blessing this as he's done it before and created a corridor for birds to leave by!!) which we will try to assist with andhe as for the first time planted s/beat to our advantage and (now) promised to leave very late which, if it happens, would be excellent. Give and take. Oh by the way daughter looks really good in jodhpurs so not all bad!!